"Stunningly Medieval Besalu" Top 5 Page for this destination Besalú by angiebabe

Besalú Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 97 photos

'Magnificent Medieval Town'

Is what I read in my DK Eyewitness Travel Guide on Spain in the small writeup under Besalu in Catalunya ' with a striking approach across a fortified bridge over the Riu Flavia'. Though the picture included with the writeup didnt have the bridge in the picture - which was indeed excitingly impressive when approaching on the bus into the town - a visit here sounded an appealing option.

I arrived off the train from Blanes at Girona with about 20 minutes before departure of the bus, with departures hourly to 2 hourly, so for 6.70 euro return I took the opportunity to head 32 km, or 45minutes, north into lovely countryside.

With timetables at the bus stop arriving at Besalu I was able to plan for a 6 pm bus back to Girona giving me 2 hours to see the town.

• Pros:wonderfully medieval!, most of Catalunya historic buildings are here in this town, beautiful buildings, so many photos to take!, Spains only mikvah is here!,
  • Last visit to Besalú: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Jul 8, 2008

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Wow! Impressive! I would love to visit here!

• Elisabcn's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Just checked your Besalú page . . . beautiful medieval town right? This is my favourite Catalunya. Cheers Elisa

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2010 at 4:12 PM

this is really a nice town. i was there a few years ago myself and really liked the place.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2009 at 9:19 AM

I love this small medieval towns! So, do I have to go to Girona first and change bus?

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2008 at 5:01 AM

Did I ever tell you how much my daughter enjoyed this place Thanks so much for your help.. Barbara

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2008 at 10:25 AM

A nice start!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Great opening shot, Angela - reminds me very much of the bridge and old town in Mostar! I'll look forward to the tips if you manage to fix that cursor on your laptop! ;-)

angiebabe

“be prepared, be respectful, try the food, meet the people, walk, walk, walk, keep your eyes open and take your camera”

Badges & Stats in Besalú