"Blanes - the start of the Costa Brava" Top 5 Page for this destination Blanes by angiebabe

Blanes Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 163 photos

The 'Wild Coast'

The Costa Brava, which means 'wild coast', runs for some 200kms from Blanes northwards to the region of Emporda which borders France.
It is a mix of pine-backed sandy coves, golden beaches and crowded modern resorts. Inland there are medieval villages to explore. Wine, olives and fishing were the main stays of the area before the tourists came in the 1960s.

Birthday in Blanes

Headed here to stay with friends who have a villa complex about 5 kms out in the country outside the town of Blanes.

Blanes with its working port has one of the longest beaches on the Costa Brava.

The Costa Brava not only has a long coastline of white beaches and blue blue waters but is surrounded by lush green vegetation - really pretty surrounds - one of the greener parts of Spain and which generally stays green through the heat of summer when other parts brown up.

Marimurtra Botanic Gardens

Beautiful gardens on a hilltop and cliffside above Blanes and the Costa Brava. Enjoyed about 2 hours here following the paths which take you over an area of about 4 hectares.

• Last visit to Blanes: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 21, 2008

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2011 at 8:19 AM

This place looks wonderful. Lovely photography! Nice page!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2011 at 8:18 AM

How nice and warm and sunny - just what I need today! You're lucky to have friends in such a pleasant spot. Those botanical gardens look lovely, as much for the views as for the flowers :-)

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2010 at 6:58 AM

Hi Angela, another stunning page by yourself. Really enjoyed it ;-)

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2009 at 2:11 PM

The botanical gardens of desert like plants is similar to some I saw on my trip to Utah & Arizona, that you may enjoy viewing. Great description of the area and beaches.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Lovely page Angela! Those gardens look like where I could visit, and what a view from them, could easily do what you did! I know what you mean about public transport, often the windows are filthy as well!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2009 at 2:12 AM

Angela, fantastic page with outstanding photos. When I was in Barcelona I though about taking a daytrip by train to Blanes, but finally cancelled the idea due to a lack of time. Now I know what I have missed. Have a lovely weekend.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2009 at 9:29 AM

oh god! so beautiful photos! I'll be back!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2009 at 6:14 PM

It looks like you had fantastic weather while in Blanes! Stunning photos of the various sights and things to do in Marimurta Botanical Gardens! I loved your flower pics - funny thing is I took a 'Bird of Paradise' snap too on my recent trip!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2008 at 3:43 AM

Very enjoyable Blanes page. Hans & I came here many, many years ago when our children were young. Nowadays, we prefer Andalucia. Also thanks for checking out my Rothenburg page.

• Aug 2, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Hi, I'm off to Lloret in a few weeks, and I am hoping to get the train from Blanes to Barcelona. Im just wondering were the trains quite frequent?

angiebabe

“be prepared, be respectful, try the food, meet the people, walk, walk, walk, keep your eyes open and take your camera”

Badges & Stats in Blanes