"Beautiful Tromso - Gateway to the Arctic" Top 5 Page for this destination Tromsø by angiebabe
Tromsø Travel Guide: 236 reviews and 580 photos
a 4 hour stopover in Tromso was an excellent idea! but with the early nightfalls of the arctic winter arriving at 230 pm meant a rush to get to see some stuff before the sunset and got dark!
and being a sunday the highlight museums were closed or just about to close. but nevermind ...next time...! and enjoyed my roaming and camera clicking all over the place....
This is the local library! looks more like the Sydney opera house!!
and lots of other lovely architecture - particularly old wooden houses and churches such as the 1861 wooden cathedral the Tromso Domkirke
then theres the 1 kilometre bridge!! that crosses the harbour linking the main settlement on Tromsoy Island to the mainland (since which also has been built a tunnel under the strait to cope with the demand!) and to the interesting architecture of the modern Arctic Cathedral symbolising the dark period of the winter and the northern nights and houses Europe's largest glass mosaic.
Tromso, the capital of Arctic Norway, with its population of 59,000 is apparently the worlds northernmost university town, most northern botanic gardens and also has the worlds most northerly brewery (tho i find that hard to believe!maybe something i could sometime investigate the accuracy of that info!!)
There are also records in the British Museum of King Alfreds 9th century handwritten account of meeting Ottar from Malangen, just south of Tromso, boasting that he lived further north than any Norseman being chieftain of Halogaland with 20 cows, 20 sheep, 20 pigs and 600 reindeer! Historians apparently believe he lived in this area though archeologists have not discovered any evidence of him but unearthed several 1000 year old houses.
Tromsos first church was built in 1252 and acquired town status in 1794 after Bergen and Trondheim lost their trade monopoly in northern Norway.
For generations the sea traffic to and from Northern Russia has been considerable with the hunting of whales, seals and walruses giving rise to new traffic with Russian, British, Dutch and German ships visiting the town.
Theres record of minor confrontations here with minor vessels during the Napleonic wars of 1812 and later during the WWII the German warship the Tirpitz was sunk here by British bombers, killing 1200 men.
Interestingly during 1940 the King and Norwegian government fled here in 1940 when the Norwegian resistance in the south were crumbling and then from here escaped to England.
Also it was from here that many polar expeditions departed from and down at the harbour is a statue of one of Norways most world known explorers Roald Amundsen who was the first to make it to the South Pole. It was in 1928 that he flew from here in a seaplane to rescue his colleague, and competitor, Italian Umberto Nobile. Nobile returned but sadly Amundsen didnt and the statue was erected in his memory.
- Pros:beautiful wooden buildings - esp the beautiful wooden churches and the modern stuff is impressively contemporary and stylish!
- Cons:gets dark too early in winter!we arrived just ahead of advertised arrival time and it got dark half an hour later!
- In a nutshell:interesting seeing life up in the Arctic circle - short short days in winter, unending daylight in summer!so much beauty!
Unfortunately i couldnt do this but maybe one day i will be back one summer and if so i would definitely do this! ie... more travel advice
Tromsoy, which is the site of the first settlement of Tromso, is an island between the large island of Kvaloy and the... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Tromsø Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On seeing the Northern Lights (at last!)"
- "Saagar's Tromsø pages"
- "Tromso: a very nice town"
- "Beautiful Tromso - Gateway to the Arctic"
- "Pictures from Tromsø"
- "the gate of the arctic"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tromsø
- Hotels in Tromsø
- Transportation in Tromsø
- Nightlife in Tromsø
- Restaurants in Tromsø
- Shopping in Tromsø
- Warnings and Dangers in Tromsø
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tromsø
- 12 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (100)
Have you been to Tromsø?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tromsø
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: What's for dinner tonight?"
- Commented on one of angiebabe's Tromsø travel pages
- updated a Tromsø Travel Page "Beautiful Tromso - Gateway to the Arctic"
- Uploaded a Photo to "up the cable car for panoramic views over Tromso"
- Wrote a Review up the cable car for panoramic views over Tromso in Tromsø Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 112 reviews, 425 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 98 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 62 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 27 reviews, 166 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues