"Back to the Arctic Circle for 402 yr old markets!" Top 5 Page for this destination Jokkmokk by angiebabe
Jokkmokk Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 128 photos
The beauty of snow, blue skies, people excited with another reason to get together for, and lots of interesting things for sale ie shopping! and reindeer!
The Winter market at Jokkmokk has now being going annually for 402 years! ie originally a Sami get together to trade way back in 1605 - i bought a cup today cdelebrating 2005 as the 400th anniversary.
And people come from miles around! and by the loads! Its always the first Friday in February followed by Saturday and Sunday.
So if you want to get to the next one you need to plan in advance whether you want to stay - and book ahead!
Yes this lovely wooden church is often the main picture depicting Jokkmokk, but seeing it for real today!! in such a beautiful environment - perfect blue skies, deep white snow and picturesque trees - it was great - i didnt get to try to see if it was open - i did get into a small wooden church also near the winter market site, but certainly not as elaborate as this lovely one!
Well i had an excellent meal with reindeer tonight(as did when i went to visit them in the Arctic Circle of Finland a few years ago ) - horrors and apologies to the anti meat eaters - but i love seeing them in live and action as well - photogenic creatures!
Here at the Winter market a reindeer parade was on each day from 12 midday through the streets of the centre and also at 2pm each day reindeer races were held down on the lake (frozen over solid)
- Pros:lots of people for the winter market, Sami culture to learn about, its the ARctic Circle! no night midsummer and no sun midwinter! and the northern lights! kind and friendly people! reindeer!lots of snow! lush and green in summer, big and wide outdoo
- Cons:too many people around if youre in a hurry !
- In a nutshell:another adventure off the beaten track - for heroes!
Shame I didnt do this as I imagine it wouldve been stunning - have done some excellent helicopter and plane rides over... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Jokkmokk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Back to the Arctic Circle for 402 yr old markets!"
- "Sami capital"
- "Welcome to JOKKMOKK"
- "JOKKMOKK -- the oldest market place"
- "Jokkmokk at midsummer"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jokkmokk
- Hotels in Jokkmokk
- Transportation in Jokkmokk
- Restaurants in Jokkmokk
- Shopping in Jokkmokk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jokkmokk
- 8 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Jokkmokk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jokkmokk
- Posted in Travel China Forum "Re: visa information for Egyptian..."
- Commented on one of angiebabe's Jokkmokk travel pages
- Wrote a Review stunning location for a wooden church in Jokkmokk Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "stunning location for a wooden church"
- updated a Jokkmokk Travel Page "Back to the Arctic Circle for 402 yr old markets!"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 112 reviews, 425 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 97 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 61 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 27 reviews, 166 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 139 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues