Stockholm Things to Do Tips by angiebabe
Stockholm Things to Do: 1,580 reviews and 2,810 photos
Was interesting to see this compared to the changing of the guard in bright red that is a popular tourist attraction where I live in London - the Guards here at Stockholms palace were in bright blue! and the ceremony went for soooo long! so much longer than London's and with lots of music and pomp and activity!
It is very well worth seeing but it is also popular, drawing a big crowd or audience but in a fairly confined space so people were almost trying to climb on top of each other - so get there early to find a good spot!
The day I was there was in the rain and it was a bit frustrating with people walking and standing in front of us that were already there and able to see to be blocked by someones umbrella who decided to come stand right in front with it. I actually was enduring watching in the rain without my umbrella up so as not to block people behind me when the odd one or two would come stand in front and block us!
I have found myself on both trips stopping at this striking building to view and take shots of the interesting personalities and ornate fixtures that decorate this building.
It was on the second visit that around the corner I found an information board giving some interesting history on this building.
Made only in the late 19th century it looks much older than this - probably because the people shown on this building appear to be wearing medieval clothing.
You will find this on the major shopping street that takes you up near the Royal Palace and into Gamla Stan.
At Tooshio's recommendation above what I had to planned to see with my remaining time of my last afternoon in Stockholm, I headed in to the Skansen museum.
What an excellent excellent place!! This is a must see - and as it is is the most popular museum in Sweden and set a precedence for outdoor museums of its kind - actually the name Skansen became the meaning for 'outdoor museum'.
This excellent place creates such a place for obtaining an insight into things Swedish - housing, farming and living styles that may vary from area to area around Sweden, as is typical of any country, have been recreated right here at Skansen with actual buildings from previous centuries brought to and rebuilt here, right down to staff donned in the actual costumes that would be worn in that locality. This also includes homes and exhibits on the native Sami peoples.
Not only houses, farming set ups and mills, but also animals from all over Sweden are here in its excellent zoo.
You can see up close moose!, swedish reindeer, wolves, wolverines, brown bears, european bison, foxes, huge grey owls, all seeming happy in their recreated natural environments.
And to top it off you can get entertained with folk dancing and music - in the usual very colourful garb and get ups!
A few of the shops closed earlyish at 5pm but most, including the costumed and very helpful and informative staff, were present in the buildings for visiting until 7pm. The folk entertainment went on til about 8pm - which was great when daylight hours continue on til 9-9.30 pm.
Another source of information says this sculpture was unveiled in 1489 as an altar monument for the shrine of St George. Commissioned by Sten Sture the Elder this sculptural ensemble was created by Berndt Notke of Lubeck from materials such as oak and elk antlers.
The story of St George and the Dragon has the knight saving the princess from sacrifice to the dragon and it was thought that Sten Sture saw himself as the knight who saved the princess/Stockholm after fighting off the forces of the King Christian of Denmark and thereby rescuing Stockholm from the Danish invaders.
Directions: Inside to the back of the Cathedral
Not only impressive on the outside and as a great location for views across the waters and to the old town of Gamla Stan I would recommend taking a tour of the opulent and interesting interior - famous for its venue of the Nobel Peach Prize awards (lavish affairs!).
An extended tour time meant there was an additional tour being held at 4pm which was great for me - whereas hadnt been added onto any info available from the Tourist offices info. But about hourly normally during the summer they are held and take up to about 45 minutes.
Giving you loads of information - the building does look like its amazingly old but is not yet 100 years old! Made of materials from around and to symbolise Stockholm - including the beautiful marble and granite.
Address: Hantverkargatan 1
This lift on the site of a lift in the 1800s takes you for only 10 kroner/£1 each way up to a walkway to the to top of a building that is linked with other buildings and also part of the cliff top.
This lift takes just a matter of a seconds to excellent views over the harbour and old town - and of course Slussen area just below.
I was impressed, very impressed! The fabulous pink sunsets that these wintery countries up near the Arctic circle (though Stockholm is a long way from the ARctic circle) are famous for - well here was one right in front of me! (and i was running out of battery with my digital and out of film with my SLR! so it was really hanging in there for as long as poss to capture as best as poss - because there was a moon in it as well! and along came a family of swans to add even more atmosphere!)
These lovely sunset pics were from the watersedge of Gamla Stan.
More Reviews (4)
angiebabe's Related Pages
Stockholm Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Stockholm"
- "My own water baby"
- "Stockholm in 5 days"
- "STOCKHOLM - THE CITY OF BRIDGES!"
- "Stockholm - beauty on water"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stockholm
- Hotels in Stockholm
- Transportation in Stockholm
- Nightlife in Stockholm
- Restaurants in Stockholm
- Shopping in Stockholm
- Warnings and Dangers in Stockholm
- See All...
Explore the World
- Incline Village Hotels
- Magic City Hotels
- Bet Guvrin
- Jönköping Hotels
- Unaften Hotels
Badges & Stats in Stockholm
- 19 Reviews
- 96 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Stockholm?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stockholm
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Anniversary"
- Wrote a Review Accommodation prices are fierce!! about High Prices in Stockholm Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "The wonderful must do Outdoor Museum of Skansen"
- created a Stockholm Travelogue "Interesting snippets & accessories of days gone by"
- Commented on one of Toshioohsako's Stockholm travel pages
Photos in StockholmSee All Photos (96)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 111 reviews, 414 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 95 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 60 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 27 reviews, 166 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 139 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 28 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (208)
Latest Stockholm hotel reviews
- Elite Palace Hotel Stockholm
- 82 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Hotel Rival
- 569 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Hotell Dialog
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Archipelago Hostel Old Town
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Scandic Sergel Plaza
- 159 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Scandic Bromma Hotel
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Abbes Hotel Central Stationen
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Abbes Hotel Gamla Stan
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Quality Hotel Prince Philip
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 10, 2013
- Lord Nelson
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 10, 2013
- Hotel Bentleys
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Langholmen Hotel & Hostel
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 30, 2012
- 232 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Terminus
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 17, 2013
- Attache Hotel
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Gamla Stan - The Old Town- 175 Reviews, 300 Photos
- Vasa Museum- 124 Reviews, 179 Photos
- Skansen- 103 Reviews, 222 Photos
- Kungliga Slottet - Royal Palace- 101 Reviews, 173 Photos
- Stadshuset - City Hall- 105 Reviews, 184 Photos
- Sightseeing Boat Tours- 27 Reviews, 31 Photos
- Södermalm- 25 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Drottningholm- 35 Reviews, 92 Photos
- Gröna Lund- 27 Reviews, 51 Photos
- Skärgården - Stockholm Archipelago- 16 Reviews, 26 Photos
See All Stockholm Things to Do