"Lovely Roskilde of the fjords" Roskilde by angiebabe
Roskilde Travel Guide: 210 reviews and 692 photos
I happened to be here for the Christmas market weekend down at the harbour and this was part of the festivities!! Skinny dipping in i dont know how freezing the water is!
Originally the capital of Denmark and a thriving trade centre through the middle ages. Also the site of Zealands first christian church built by the Viking King Harald Bluetooth in 980 AD.
Down at the harbour and a few minutes walk from the excellent Danhostel Youthhostel is the Viking Ship Museum with the interesting exhibits of 5 viking boats laboriously brought up from the bottom of the fjord in 1962 and then underwent the 25 years of preserving so that they can displayed for the public today.
The lonely planet writes that this imposing cathedral with its tall spires and splendid interior and the crypts of 37 monarchs sometimes closes for weddings and funerals - well unfortunately it had closed for a concert which i probably should have gone in to but i thought i didnt have the time (which i did actually!) - so i didnt get in to see all that splendidness - but its been unescoed so its obviously well worth seeing!!
- Pros:Relaxing & peaceful scenic place to stay - great for commuting to & from Copenhagen rather than staying in the city, very interesting to see the viking ships lifted up out of the fjord and preserved for us to see!,strawroofed houses of St jorgensberg
- Cons:staying down at the excellent youth hostel can be misleading you that thats Roskilde and at risk of missing all thats available up at the town centre!
Try out how it is to be a viking and jump in as the locals do into the harbour - winter or summer! - and naked - is... more travel advice
Most of Roskilde's medieval buildings have perished in fires over the centuries, but the cathedral that was the burial... more travel advice
Written Aug 30, 2009
Viking ships from 1000 AD!
Written Aug 30, 2009
A bit of info about Viking ships
angiebabe's Related Pages
Roskilde Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "much more than the rock festival"
- "Roskilde Cathedral – Where the Danish Kings rest"
- "My hometown Roskilde"
- "I'll be back"
- "Roskilde - More than a cathedral"
- "Roskilde, City of Springs"
- "Lovely Roskilde of the fjords"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Roskilde
- Hotels in Roskilde
- Transportation in Roskilde
- Nightlife in Roskilde
- Restaurants in Roskilde
- Shopping in Roskilde
- Warnings and Dangers in Roskilde
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Roskilde
- 7 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Roskilde?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Roskilde
Photos in RoskildeSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 112 reviews, 421 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 96 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 60 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 27 reviews, 166 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 139 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 28 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues