"Amalfi! To see the beauty of the Amalfi Coast!" Top 5 Page for this destination Amalfi by angiebabe
Amalfi Travel Guide: 273 reviews and 805 photos
The Amalfi coast started for me when I left my friends at Avelino and found my way onto the bus to Salerno, spent a few hours there - starting with the view of the coastline and pics from the marina area with the coastline and mountains behind that I was to see for the next 3 days, and around the lovely streets of Salerno's old/medieval town centre.
Arrived in Amalfi at about 7pm in the dark but quite a few people around and there were lots of lights on of the many buildings I could see layered up the hills in the dark. The imperative was to find the bus to the San Lazzaro hostel - I was too exhausted actually to stay any longer than finding the first bus out - and I had to contact the hostel again as to which bus to catch - she had replied yes to my question was it the bus to Ravello that i was to catch to her hostel! until i couldnt find San Lazzaro on my map.
then got into a conversation with a Willys info tout! He was persistent but i really liked the sound of the hostel i had my mind set on up in the hills that was in my IHA annual of hostels around the world.
but off I went up the wild and winding road 45 minutes up (up, up and up!) to Agerola-San Lazzaro - its definitely not the road to Ravello - but actually this road goes on a lot further to meet up with the road to Naples. With a very helpful bus driver who was happy to confirm where to get off and what direction to go in - and the hostel was actually just behind us not far from the bus stop - an easy relief after such a full and exhausting day!
Comfortable night at the hostel and with daybreak was able to see the amazing view over the coast from the end of the street near the hostel. Caught the bus back down to Amalfi in the sunshine!
Caught the bus up the winding road to the gorgeous hilltop village/town of Ravello - the place where the famed photos overlooking the Amalfi coast are taken.
A great way to see the sights, following on from the best sights over the Amalfi coast from the famed villas once belonging to rich Roman holidaymakers of Ravello, is to walk all the way downhill until Atrani. There is loads to see along the path down! Watch your steps though - theres lots of them!
And then arriving at Atrani at the bottom of the descent you wind your way through the village streets and out onto the beach - fisherman were there fixing their nets and then the view i got from the ascent back on up towards Amalfi was another lovely vision - including a rainbow.
A town with loads of character ie an exciting picture taking spot!
- Pros:It is a truly one of the best coastal sights!, town perched on the sides of steep hills with loads of character in the buildings, hugely scenic from the hills above
- Cons:no lights in the phone booths!,
See my Ravello tips too - Ravello is the stunning viewpoint spot up in the hills above Amalfi and Atrani - the place... more travel advice
You can see in the accompanying photo a blue bus parked - this is where the buses come in and leave from for all... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Amalfi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Amalfi - spectacular coastline!"
- "The Little Coastal Town that Made Good!"
- "Amalfi! To see the beauty of the Amalfi Coast!"
- "The Beautiful Amalfi Coast"
- "Amalfi - pearl of the coast"
- "Beautiful Town of Amalfi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amalfi
- Hotels in Amalfi
- Transportation in Amalfi
- Restaurants in Amalfi
- Shopping in Amalfi
- Warnings and Dangers in Amalfi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amalfi
- 10 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Amalfi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amalfi
- Posted in Travel Guilin Forum "Re: Guilin hotel"
- Commented on one of shavy's Amalfi tips
- updated a Amalfi Travel Page "Amalfi! To see the beauty of the Amalfi Coast!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Amalfi! To see the beauty of the Amalfi Coast!"
- Wrote a Review Up to beautiful Ravello in the hills above! in Amalfi Things to Do
Photos in AmalfiSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 106 reviews, 399 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 99 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 62 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 28 reviews, 171 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues