"Amalfi! To see the beauty of the Amalfi Coast!" Top 5 Page for this destination Amalfi by angiebabe

Amalfi Travel Guide: 255 reviews and 728 photos

Amalfi

The Amalfi coast started for me when I left my friends at Avelino and found my way onto the bus to Salerno, spent a few hours there - starting with the view of the coastline and pics from the marina area with the coastline and mountains behind that I was to see for the next 3 days, and around the lovely streets of Salerno's old/medieval town centre.

Arrived in Amalfi at about 7pm in the dark but quite a few people around and there were lots of lights on of the many buildings I could see layered up the hills in the dark. The imperative was to find the bus to the San Lazzaro hostel - I was too exhausted actually to stay any longer than finding the first bus out - and I had to contact the hostel again as to which bus to catch - she had replied yes to my question was it the bus to Ravello that i was to catch to her hostel! until i couldnt find San Lazzaro on my map.

then got into a conversation with a Willys info tout! He was persistent but i really liked the sound of the hostel i had my mind set on up in the hills that was in my IHA annual of hostels around the world.

but off I went up the wild and winding road 45 minutes up (up, up and up!) to Agerola-San Lazzaro - its definitely not the road to Ravello - but actually this road goes on a lot further to meet up with the road to Naples. With a very helpful bus driver who was happy to confirm where to get off and what direction to go in - and the hostel was actually just behind us not far from the bus stop - an easy relief after such a full and exhausting day!

Comfortable night at the hostel and with daybreak was able to see the amazing view over the coast from the end of the street near the hostel. Caught the bus back down to Amalfi in the sunshine!

Do the walk back from Ravello to Atrani

Caught the bus up the winding road to the gorgeous hilltop village/town of Ravello - the place where the famed photos overlooking the Amalfi coast are taken.
A great way to see the sights, following on from the best sights over the Amalfi coast from the famed villas once belonging to rich Roman holidaymakers of Ravello, is to walk all the way downhill until Atrani. There is loads to see along the path down! Watch your steps though - theres lots of them!

And then arriving at Atrani at the bottom of the descent you wind your way through the village streets and out onto the beach - fisherman were there fixing their nets and then the view i got from the ascent back on up towards Amalfi was another lovely vision - including a rainbow.

Beach and mountain side Amalfi

A town with loads of character ie an exciting picture taking spot!

• Pros:It is a truly one of the best coastal sights!, town perched on the sides of steep hills with loads of character in the buildings, hugely scenic from the hills above
  • Cons:no lights in the phone booths!,
  • Last visit to Amalfi: Nov 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 26, 2013

• Camping_Girl's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Wow, your pictures are incredible! My son just visited Amalfi this spring, and your photos have really helped whet my appetite for a visit!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2010 at 10:06 AM

I adore those magnificent views....

• Aug 11, 2009 at 11:46 PM

Italy is near to me (Greece) so i hope that i have the change to visit it soon again! Nice page!!

• mfas2000's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2009 at 1:00 AM

We loved the lemon of the amalfi..the smell of those trees are filling the whole area which is refreshing..thanks for sharing the photoes

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2009 at 3:38 AM

I like Amalfi in your way. thanks.Bora

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Lovely photos and nice narrative. Thanks for sharing. Cheers, Mark

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2008 at 8:16 AM

Your "lemons" pic was featured on the front page of VT today. We loved the Amalfi area.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Your photos are so terrific that I'd love to see Amalfi, Capri, etc. Your tip on the lemon theme reminds me of Sorrento, but I couldn't help focusing in on those fantastic postcards in the picture accompanying your tip!

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2008 at 4:52 AM

as expected, you provide more information than the usual "it is beautiful, go there" and it is this information such as bus schedules, fees, etc. that keeps me looking for your tips. thanks

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Its over 25 years since I've been to this beautiful part of the world. Unfortunately the windy roads caused a lot of car sickness with the daughters.

angiebabe

“be prepared, be respectful, try the food, meet the people, walk, walk, walk, keep your eyes open and take your camera”

Badges & Stats in Amalfi