"Beautiful heather and horses in the New Forest" Top 5 Page for this destination New Forest by angiebabe
New Forest Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 137 photos
We went out for a roam around the moor to indulge in the scenery and colours while the heather was still in its lovely purple bloom. Fresh country air and wide open spaces away from the city and work and all its worries. Perfect environment to stroll around, catch up in conversation with friends and grab a few more photos!
Im told that outside of the Highlands of Scotland the New Forest is the largest are of relatively natural vegetation in Britain and been that way since 1079 when William the Conqueror gave the area its name.
The New Forest covers 145 square miles of which 105 sq miles is forest and woodlands and the rest occupied by villages and farmland.
The forest trees include oak, beech and holly while the animal life feature deer, badgers, foxes and most particularly the famed ponies.
The cities of Bournemouth in the South west and Southhampton in the North East bracket the New Forest with the main towns and villages to visit within being Brockenhurst, Lyndhurst, Minstead, Burley, Beaulieau, Lymington and Ringwood.
Within this area are interesting sites such as the Rufus Stone to commemorate where William II was killed by an arrow (or was it the person that fired it?), the gravestones of knowns such as Arthur Conan Doyle and Alice Hargreaves who had been the model for Alice for Lewis Carroll, and the Rhinefield Drive extremely beautiful when in its prolific glory of rhodendron blossoms.
Being a pretty area to drive through and even better when you get off the roads and onto the cycling and walking tracks, up to 7 million visitors a year enjoy this area, sharing it with the New Forest ponies and over 1,500 fallow deer.
Visitors are asked - not to feed the wild ponies which can attract them onto the roads
- to keep below 40 mph on unfenced forest roads and only park in a designated area - of which there are many!
- when walking in the forest to keep to paths and tracks
- Pros:large area to roam or drive and enjoy the fresh air and nature and wildlife
During the summer months, in 2013 from 29 June to 15 September, it would be great to tour around the New Forest in an... more travel advice
With 145 square miles of unenclosed land theres plenty of pretty area with walking tracks to head off and enjoy the... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
New Forest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful heather and horses in the New Forest"
- "Get lost in the New Forest"
- "England's smallest and newest national park"
- "My very favourite place."
- "Neither New Nor All Forest"
- "The New Forest & its wildlife"
- "New Forest"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Forest
- Hotels in New Forest
- Transportation in New Forest
- Restaurants in New Forest
- Warnings and Dangers in New Forest
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Forest
- 10 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (145)
Have you been to New Forest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Forest
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: VT Euromeet - Post Meet in..."
- Commented on one of angiebabe's New Forest tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hop on Hop off Bus tours"
- Wrote a Review Hop on Hop off Bus tours in New Forest Things to Do
- updated a New Forest Travel Page "Beautiful heather and horses in the New Forest"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 106 reviews, 399 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 99 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 62 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 28 reviews, 171 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues