"Stunning!" Wadi Rum by angiebabe
Wadi Rum Travel Guide: 240 reviews and 562 photos
Someone had said to me a few days before arriving in Jordan for my first visit to this country, and to Wadi Rum, which I didnt know much about and had only had photos to get an idea in hindsight almost impossible to catch the actual awesomeness and stunningness of this place, as over rated!!
Beautiful colours and mountains in a wonderful array of shapes and forms - eroded by the wind. This is such a stunning place!
Now a nature reserve it was once the transit point between ARabia and Palestine. Several springs flow into Wadi Tum allowing patches of vegetation to grow and so the wadi became an obligatory stopping point for the caravans carrying spices and incense from the kingdom of Sheba - now modern day Yemen - to the ports of the Mediterannean.
Lawrence of Arabia was here during World War I when he was English Major Lawrence fighting side by side with the rebels of Emir Hussein I from 1916 to 1918. and so Wadi Rum now also stands as a symbol of national Jordanian independence.
It was here that he conceived his memoirs 'The Seven Pillars of Wisdom', in which he described the wild beauty of this refuge.
The wide valley of Wadi Rum is one of the most famous and best loved places in Jordan. The valley is formed by the confluence of ancient wadi - ie torrential river beds - surrounded by steep walls, pinnacles and rocky outcrops.
The 2 largest peaks in the country - Jebel Rum and Jebel Umm Ishrin - can be seen in the distance.
The Nabateans were here as were the Romans but there are rock carvings in the area which indicate human presence as far back as the Palaeolithic era.
Present day inhabitants of Wadi Rum are the Bedouin who breed goats and dromedaries and whose young men form the back bone of the legendary Desert Police (see also tips in Petra of Desert police seen there).
Included in our tour was much appreciated tea in a bedouin tent.
- Pros:no wonder Lawrence of Arabia liked it here
angiebabe's Related Pages
Wadi Rum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wadi Rum is beautiful!"
- "Wadi Rum - the Red Desert."
- "Wadi Rum: the fantastic Jordan desert"
- "Wadi Rum"
- "Magical Wadi Rum"
- "Wadi Rum"
- "Our First Desert Experience"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wadi Rum
- Hotels in Wadi Rum
- Transportation in Wadi Rum
- Nightlife in Wadi Rum
- Restaurants in Wadi Rum
- Shopping in Wadi Rum
- Warnings and Dangers in Wadi Rum
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wadi Rum
- 6 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Wadi Rum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wadi Rum
Photos in Wadi RumSee All Photos (66)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 112 reviews, 421 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 97 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 61 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 27 reviews, 166 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 139 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 29 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (236)
Latest Wadi Rum hotel reviews
- Captain's Desert Camp
- 146 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013