"wow i flew to Fair Isle!" Fair Isle by angiebabe
Fair Isle Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 85 photos
Fair Isle knitting is a well known and regarded complicated style of knitting woolly jumpers to the wool capital of the world back home in New Zealand - memories of seeing knitting patterns for Fair Isle jumpers or going to fetes and markets and seeing them hot off the sticks.
Approaching the island it looks like a pyramid lump of land sitting in large waves in the ocean - but yes there is actually flat enough and just long areas for a run way!!
Weather is very unpredictable as the history of life on Fair Isle at the museum provided points out, sad tragedies of boats caught in storms and life lost etc.
I flew here on a daily flight from the Orkney Islands for about £65 return in 2000 and was glad to have taken the opportunity. and very thankful the weather stayed okay for the flights over and back. The clouds kept coming in and going away during our time on the island - reminding of the changeable weather condtions that prevail here.
There was a post office here that was open and had postcards and other memorabilia to sentamentalise our trip - got some obilgatory postcards written and posted to various people around the world to keep them up with my ever transient whereabouts!
There is a rangers headquarters here in which one can stay overnight or longer stays. It wasnt particularly cheap looking at the prices back then but an interesting idea to stay somewhere so off the beaten track and elusive! No doubt an opportunity also to be there in a variety of weathers that a little prominence like this island is in the middle of open seas would conjure up.
angiebabe's Related Pages
Fair Isle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fair Isle - More than a Knit Pattern"
- "Fair Isle - Britain's most remote inhabited island"
- "Fair Isle"
- "Fair Isle"
- "wow i flew to Fair Isle!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fair Isle
- Hotels in Fair Isle
- Transportation in Fair Isle
- Nightlife in Fair Isle
- Shopping in Fair Isle
- Warnings and Dangers in Fair Isle
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Fair Isle
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (84)
Have you been to Fair Isle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fair Isle
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 111 reviews, 418 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 95 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 60 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 27 reviews, 166 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 139 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 28 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues