"Its truly worth a visit to the Waipoua Forest!" Waipoua Forest by angiebabe
Waipoua Forest Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 56 photos
Have been up through here many times as my grandparents farm is just outside the forest down in the Waimamaku valley....a lot of history and memories here...lovely to be back through here recently twice in January 2013, the previous was when up visiting relatives 7 long years ago in November 2005..
This is a National Park loaded with beautiful native kauri trees up on the main road in Northland's west coast - about 10 km south of Omapere and Opononi near the entrance to Hokianga Harbour.
...totally recommend taking this route as part of your drive around the sights of the north of NZ.
This is one of the earliest areas of NZ in which the white man came - after the treaty of Waitangi settlement out into this remote areas grew - this area was mostly for prolific logging and obtaining kauri gum.
In the earliest days logs from the forests would be taken to Rawene and loaded onto ships heading out of Hokianga harbour to other parts of NZ, Australia.
Many buildings and homes from the earliest settlement days have been made of Kauri and certainly anything from those days are an heirloom timbehighly sought after for furnitur or re and other wood crafts - even demolition sites for recycling of kauri is in high demand.
These NZ natives found only in NZ have found at impressive ages such as 600-800 years and at these ages are impressive sizes...so they are truly regarded with great value here.
While driving through the forest you will see a signposted road off the main forest road takingyou to the Forest Headquarters of the people looking after the forest - extensive info is available and i did actually stay there once in cabin accommodation available then in the camping ground.
- Pros:fresh air, green and remote, the road has been upgraded and is now tarsealed and not the old miles of winding gravel road!, family memories here!!
Right at the entrance to the pathway into where you walk for 5 minutes to see the biggest kauri tree in the Waipoua... more travel advice
When you get to a point on the road on the hill that is either when you come out of the forest or if you are heading... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Waipoua Forest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Its truly worth a visit to the Waipoua Forest!"
- "Waipoua, Big Tree Country"
- "Waipoua Forest"
- "Bosque de - Kauris - Forest"
- "Waipoua Forest and Hokianga Harbour"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Waipoua Forest
- 6 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (100)
Have you been to Waipoua Forest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Waipoua Forest
- Posted in Travel Ouarzazate Forum "Re: from marrakesh to ouarzazate"
- Commented on one of angiebabe's Waipoua Forest tips
- created a Waipoua Forest Travelogue "A drive through beautiful NZ forest"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A drive through beautiful NZ forest"
- Wrote a Review Take care of your valuables in Waipoua Forest Warnings and Dangers
Photos in Waipoua ForestSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 112 reviews, 425 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 98 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 62 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 27 reviews, 166 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues