"What a surprise! So many beautiful old buildings!" Top 5 Page for this destination Auxerre by angiebabe
Auxerre Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 260 photos
The city of Auxerre and the Auxerre region Tourist Information Centre have created a pedestrian route in Auxerre's town centre with markings to follow accompanied by a brochure , that i was given when i went into a small branch of the Tourist Office, to help passing tourists discover the town.
I had never read or heard any tourist info on this town ie none of my guidebooks mentioned this town in Burgundy down near Dijon - I had only happened to notice (when tearing along the freeway on my rush to Montreux but i was just too late! too long at Vernon and Giverny and then caught up in the nightmare that is Paris' ring roads) there were roadside motels here of the roadside motel chains that i have books on for their whereabouts around my travels in case i need to stop - and then noticed signs advertising to the historical sites of the town nearby.
So the next day off i went and wow what beautiful big buildings began appearing and then the medieval timbered sort were appearing - this looked like my kind of town!
A small branch i found out later of the main tourist office was just there near the centre and approach to the dazzling clock tower and copious number of beautiful timbered buildings - the lovely girl in there was able to give me a good map of the town which happened to be a walking tour map - i didnt want to take too long just see some good sights and good photos and get going as I wanted to get up to the famous Fountainebleu as well.
With buildings and vineyards recorded as beginning as early as the 5th century there is much here of the styles and passions from all through the ages - Romanesque, Renaissance, Classical, Carolingian, Louis VIII-XV, 14th and 15th timbered and stone medieval buildings and even Art Deco!
- Pros:specially marked tourist trail to see the remarkable range of styles through the ages and historical roots here in Auxerre, rather photogenic!
- In a nutshell:more than just a hotel beside the freeway!
The main tourist office is down here at the river and starts its walking tour here - here it recommends too to get the... more travel advice
The Town Hall's Square - Place de l'Hotel de Ville - called this in every french town i visited? - is a lovely square... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Auxerre Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What a surprise! So many beautiful old buildings!"
- "Still More Gothic Churches"
- "Le Grand Week-End"
- "New start on the Compostella way (4th year)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Auxerre
- Hotels in Auxerre
- Transportation in Auxerre
- Restaurants in Auxerre
- Shopping in Auxerre
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Auxerre
- 18 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Auxerre?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Auxerre
- Posted in Travel Essaouira Forum "Re: Marrakesh to Essaouira"
- Commented on one of mustertal's Auxerre travel pages
- Wrote a Review down at the river Yonne in Auxerre Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "the Count's Palace and Place Marechal-Leclerc"
- updated a Auxerre Travel Page "What a surprise! So many beautiful old buildings!"
Photos in AuxerreSee All Photos (81)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 112 reviews, 421 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 96 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 60 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 27 reviews, 166 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 139 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 28 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues