"What a surprise! So many beautiful old buildings!" Top 5 Page for this destination Auxerre by angiebabe

Auxerre Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 260 photos

Discover the historical town centre

The city of Auxerre and the Auxerre region Tourist Information Centre have created a pedestrian route in Auxerre's town centre with markings to follow accompanied by a brochure , that i was given when i went into a small branch of the Tourist Office, to help passing tourists discover the town.

The 'City of Art and History' label earned in 1995

I had never read or heard any tourist info on this town ie none of my guidebooks mentioned this town in Burgundy down near Dijon - I had only happened to notice (when tearing along the freeway on my rush to Montreux but i was just too late! too long at Vernon and Giverny and then caught up in the nightmare that is Paris' ring roads) there were roadside motels here of the roadside motel chains that i have books on for their whereabouts around my travels in case i need to stop - and then noticed signs advertising to the historical sites of the town nearby.

So the next day off i went and wow what beautiful big buildings began appearing and then the medieval timbered sort were appearing - this looked like my kind of town!

A small branch i found out later of the main tourist office was just there near the centre and approach to the dazzling clock tower and copious number of beautiful timbered buildings - the lovely girl in there was able to give me a good map of the town which happened to be a walking tour map - i didnt want to take too long just see some good sights and good photos and get going as I wanted to get up to the famous Fountainebleu as well.

With buildings and vineyards recorded as beginning as early as the 5th century there is much here of the styles and passions from all through the ages - Romanesque, Renaissance, Classical, Carolingian, Louis VIII-XV, 14th and 15th timbered and stone medieval buildings and even Art Deco!

• Pros:specially marked tourist trail to see the remarkable range of styles through the ages and historical roots here in Auxerre, rather photogenic!
  • In a nutshell:more than just a hotel beside the freeway!
  • Last visit to Auxerre: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 3, 2007

• Orchid's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Great page!. Brings back memories of a family trip to Burgundy a decade ago. We just loved the little town of Vincellottes, just a few miles further up the Yonne. We'd come into Auxerre to shop at the huge supermarket on the outskirts.And then into the medieval town - small town France is a neverending delight!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
      Oct 26, 2013 at 1:22 AM

thanks for visiting my page here....though cheeky me youre welcome to rate a few more tips in the page as my poor page tends to get lost amongst the many others showing the lovelies of France! Vincellottes sounds lovely too then! I am well overdue a trip back!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2012 at 10:21 PM

WOW! This is gorgeous, my kind of town! Lots of lovely photo's and good information, thanks for sharing!

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2011 at 5:16 PM

I'd never heard of Auxerre before I saw your page. I have to go there, thanks to you. Now all I have to do is go back to the drawing board and change the itinerary yet again.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2009 at 6:44 AM

I am sure I would be thrilled to see all those gorgeous houses. Thanks for this beautifully illustrated virtual tour.

• ThiagoRamos's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2009 at 11:48 AM

I always forget to rate the pages I visit!!! But be sure that your tips are all VERY HELPFUL!!! Congratulations!!!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2009 at 6:05 AM

You clearly had a great photographic tour here, Angie. Good stuff - and yet another "must visit" place for me! After your comment on Canberra, it could do with a "follow the thread" touring system like this!

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2009 at 7:35 AM

Thanks for rating my Haarlem page. Really worthwhile to spend there a full day. Recently in France we wanted to visit Auxerre and it started raining approaching Bourgogne, so that we continued our road. From your tips and photos it seems we must return.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2009 at 4:45 PM

It looks like a fabulous place to visit. the traditional wood cross framed buildings are neat to see, and colorful.

• Herwig1961's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2009 at 1:50 AM

Never have been there but the place looks very tempting!Stunning fotos and excellent descriptions!Greetings Herwig

• mustertal's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2009 at 8:48 AM

We ended up in Auxerre last year for a long week end. I wish I'd read your pages first, we missed quite a lot.

angiebabe

“be prepared, be respectful, try the food, meet the people, walk, walk, walk, keep your eyes open and take your camera”

Badges & Stats in Auxerre

Have you been to Auxerre?