"Beaches, Bananas and surfers hangout" Taghazout by angiebabe
Taghazout Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 26 photos
Taghazout is just up the road from Agadir - and we stay here quite often as we enjoy the sea views from an apartment balcony and have always got a car so its nice to be handy to the city but enjoy more of the sea
The beaches around here are popular because of the surf but also to get away from the crowds of the Agadir beaches where many of the locals and package tour tourists lay around paying heaps of money for roped off deck chair areas and ongoing commercialism (not all the beach at Agadir is like that but the package tour tourists probably don't get to know much better - unless they come and spend some time on VT first!)
- its a lot more chilled out here - even the village here at Taghazout is nicely chilled though open to late for people to to hang out, eat, shop, socialise, fix their surfboards etc
19 kms north of Agadir along the road to Tamanar and Essaouira is the Taghazoute, a fishing village popular with surfers.
The Moroccan government, several years ago started dishing out money to developers to develop the areas along the coast here and build areas to generate tourism and higher quality living areas - apparently many of these developers took the money and left the country! So these areas were left sitting waiting - over the last couple of years activity has started up again with new signs advising the proposed developments. But at this stage its still a laid back area with a quiet but popular camping ground, cafes and seaside chillout area with camels and donkeys for families and tourists
19 km from Agadir on the road to Essaouira - still a fishing village but popular with surfers...lots of surfers shops and supplies and you can get lessons here - enjoy the surf or find a spot along the long beach, relax under your beach umbrella, brave the waves, make a tagine for lunch on the beach....
A few restaurants, cafes, internet cafes, knick knack shops, mosque and some great apartments...all open to quite late at night
- Pros:seaside....apartments with sea views - a bargain during offpeak but even at peak if theres a group of you in a 2 or 3 room place its much nicer to stay here than a commercial hotel in the city
- Cons:development is coming....and some of the beaches are very dirty
- In a nutshell:a great place to chill out at the beginning or end of a stint around Morocco - an excellent chill out seaside place not far from the action of Agadir city
We often stay in an apartment at Taghazout for a night or for several nights depending on the purpose - if arriving on a... more travel advice
A lot of bananas are grown around here - in amongst the valleys that are protected from the harsh winter but receive... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Taghazout Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Taghazout
- 4 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Taghazout?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Taghazout
- Posted in Travel China Forum "Re: visa information for Egyptian..."
- Commented on one of angiebabe's Taghazout tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Support the locals and buy their bananas"
- Wrote a Review Spend the night looking out over... in Taghazout Hotels
- updated a Taghazout Travel Page "Beaches, Bananas and surfers hangout"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 112 reviews, 425 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 97 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 61 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 27 reviews, 166 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 139 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues