"Unesco World Heritage site Ait Ben Haddou" Top 5 Page for this destination Ait Ben Haddou by angiebabe
Ait Ben Haddou Travel Guide: 116 reviews and 370 photos
Visited this place first in July 2003 with some faux guides, then with my boyfriend in March 2004 and then with my bestfriend Traceyanne, showing her the best of Morocco!!, in 2006, since returned during the lovely almond blossom season February 2009 and 2012, and several times each year 2010, 2011 and 2012 - as being in the cross roads of the major routes getting around Southern Morocco budget La Baraka Hotel at Ait Benhaddou has become a handy stop over point!
make your way around the maze of streets and steps up to the fortress on top and enjoy the panoramic view over the whole valley in all directions!...look for snow topped mountains of the Atlas mountains zig sagging their way across Morocco.
This complex of kasbahs and ksars has been on the Unesco list since 1987
Back in 2010 had my 5th visit to Ait Benhaddou - stayed 2 nights and nice to have a relaxed stay - hadnt intended to - went off for early morning views from the lookout over across the valley to the kasbahs and lots of spying on the locals below in the fields shots - before a relaxing breakfast and then a revisit a few kms up the road to Kasbah Tamdaght - had been there last year during almond blossom time and the valley its in was full of pink and white blossoms so that was a heavenly half an hour or so Id had of taking photos of Tamdaghts exterior and surrounds - since then often thought how I shouldve gone to see the interior and my curiousity got the better of me and Im glad I did return!!
By then it was lunch time so we turned up with another hello to where we had stayed at La Baraka and had brochettes and a delicious vegetable tagine (thats a sign of addiction to get cravings for tagine!! and to think when i was living in Morocco for 9 continuous weeks once I was sick to the teeth of tagine!!) and then managed to talk my companion into a walk around the kasbahs to the side where Ive never actually been!!.....doing these things that I think about later that I realised I regretted not having not done!!... so we got across the river's stepping stones - well perhaps I didnt in my mules Id forgotten to change for proper walking shoes! and splashed a bit in front of an entire tour group waiting to cross the other way - and squished through the muddy places but enjoyed the walk right round the other side, good shots in the warm sun and a chat with a guy with a shop there with his interesing style of painting - didnt buy though....
by then we decided to stay another night.....which was good - no more arriving at the next place in the dark and a chance to go catch up with an acquaintance from long ago I came across in one of the shops there - yes he did then try to hustle me to buy his jewellery but i did get some mint tea and my favourite Pommes....
and lovely views of a red sunset sky over Ait Benhaddou a little later!!... a nice return to Ait benhaddou I reckon
Further visits found that a new bridge had been put across the river to the southern entrance of the site - an excellent improvement! no more muddy wet river crossings when the river is up or having to take the usual main path in the centre down past all the shops with their persistent salesmen!
- Pros:make your way around the palmeraie and miss the touts waiting for tourists coming in the usual way!, see where the movies were made, visit the inside of a fortified village and kasbah.
- Cons:very photogenic but very commercial - there are other places Ive been to that are more authentic, more interesting and some even lived in still as well.
- In a nutshell:it is definitely worth a look but there are many others Ive been too that make better visits!
In one of my Off the Beaten Path tips here I suggested missing the touts that are along the usual pathway that most... more travel advice
Have stayed here several times now over the past 2 years - 2010-2012 for 1-2 nights at a time and had several breakfast.... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Ait Ben Haddou Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ait Ben Haddou"
- "Unesco World Heritage site Ait Ben Haddou"
- "My favorite place in Morocco"
- "Home of the Famous Kasbah"
- "Ait Ben Haddou"
- "Ait - Benhaddou"
- "Ait Benhaddou"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ait Ben Haddou
- Hotels in Ait Ben Haddou
- Transportation in Ait Ben Haddou
- Restaurants in Ait Ben Haddou
- Shopping in Ait Ben Haddou
- Warnings and Dangers in Ait Ben Haddou
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ait Ben Haddou
- 14 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (145)
Have you been to Ait Ben Haddou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ait Ben Haddou
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: VT Euromeet - Post Meet in..."
- Commented on one of angiebabe's Ait Ben Haddou tips
- updated a Ait Ben Haddou Travel Page "Unesco World Heritage site Ait Ben Haddou"
- Wrote a Review New walk bridge over the river to Ait Benhaddou in Ait Ben Haddou Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "New walk bridge over the river to Ait Benhaddou"
Photos in Ait Ben HaddouSee All Photos (70)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 106 reviews, 399 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 99 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 62 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 28 reviews, 171 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues