"Beautiful Anmiter" Anmiter by angiebabe
Anmiter Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 44 photos
Along this road are a diverse range of landscapes and scenes - from huge plateaus looking like bowls scooped out of the landscape, fertile and green wheat fields and animals and people working in them, with berber villages in amongst unusually eroded and shaped rock formations and hills and almost moonlooking terrain and then comes the greens, reds, and pale yellows of the mineral rich earth hills with white salt leaching out into the water table - where there is an old salt mine that provided a modest fortune and power for the early Glaoui rulers in the area, which can still be visited.
Whenever we wanted to go for a short drive from Telouet or take visitors for a look around we would amongst other choices such as 5 km beautiful road to Tasgha or the road back towards the Ouarzazate-Marrakech turnoff near TiznTichka, we would drive the beautful 12 km road down to Anmiter.
Frequently from there we would head on up to the also very beautiful drive and area to villages beyond and up to the village of Tigzha.
For a remote area it is quite a busy road - well it has quite a number of various vehicles spread throughout the day providing transport for the locals around the area from a daily bus service, to vans and grande taxis between the towns and as far away as Amerzgane and connections for services to Marrakech.
You will also see, especially on Wednesdays and Thursdays the paths used by donkeys and mules and pedestrians appear before your eyes busy with local traffic travelling to and from the souks of Telouet and returning to Anmiter and the many villages beyond.
The bitumen/tar sealed road ends at Anmiter and this is as far as normal vehicular traffic go. Except for the manageable piste road that follows to the right of the river up to the beautiful and unusually well preserved village of Anmiter.
(The castellated and fortified houses in this village shows the wealth that was gained 100 years from the tolls and levies charged to travellers along that route.)
Or to the left of Anmiter following to the left of that river a slow piste road that runs high above fertile riversides up to the mountain villages of Tigzha from where walks or donkey rides can be made up to the Tamda lakes.
Or back to Anmiter - from where the bitumen finishes the spectacular 4 wheel drive road to Ait Benhaddou cmmences! This is a spectacular road with the historical Kasbah of Tamdaght that was famous for being able to hold out as the last bastion of berber tribes not submitting to the Glaoui who wanted the levies that TAmdaght was taking from those travelling that routewhich was then the main route from OUarzazate to Marrakech but not letting them pass through. The Glaoui wanted those tolls and they wanted the insubordinates to fall into line so with their cannon back in the early 1900s and a betrayer within the kasbah they overpowered the tribes fighting from Tamdaght and gained total power over the area for many years.
- Pros:amazingly beautiful - especially in spring when fruit and almond trees in blossom, skies very blue, snow on the mountains.Multicoloured earth. Colourful clothing, beautiful faces of the berber women - out doing their washing, working the fields etc.
- Cons:very cold in winter!
this beautiful road turns off just before you arrive at Anmiter when coming from Telouet - its an hour to walk and its... more travel advice
We drove past here in Feb and June this year 2012 and there is a signpost here now to let you know where to turn in to... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Anmiter Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Anmiter
- 8 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Anmiter?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Anmiter
Photos in AnmiterSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 112 reviews, 425 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 97 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 61 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 27 reviews, 166 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 139 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues