"Not really a lot here but ATMs, service station..." Top 5 Page for this destination Erfoud by angiebabe
Erfoud Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 54 photos
Main centre for banks - before the town of Rissani did get an ATM installed, which even when it did it was usually out of action...., Erfoud was the nearest money access for the whole area - we would drive through to here to get money...and good service station that accepts credit cards for fuel...Rissani has no problems with getting fuel but they dont take credit cards - also for getting work done on your car Erfoud is the main centre.
The palmeriae from Er Rachidia down through Erfoud and Rissani is one of or the biggest in Morocco and until recent years when there was quite a big problem with infection in the date palms, the biggest date producer/yielder of good quality dates.
With big rains received at strategic times over the past couple of years the yield from here is improving - and this visit it was mid date-harvest time and the Date Festival was held 30 Sept-2nd Oct. The festival involved a large exposition tent of many companies and representatives of businesses involved with anything to do with dates or date growing areas such as tour companies! Was actually very informative and interesting.
Much more interesting though was driving around small roads in the palmeraie amongst the villages and see the locals going about their harvesting!
Theres a lot of shops here and there can be some interesting photos to get from around the town of people and buildings...in 2 areas left and right of the main road that runs through town - its quite a spread out town - but otherwise Rissani is the town with the historical sights, the major souks, the museums and old kasbahs, and closest to the sahara desert dunes...
You can get good views from the hill with the military installation on top - often see good looking photos of the pink and yellow houses in the town which are quite attractive - you can get good views from the Tinerhas kasbah on a hill along the Circuit Touristique a few kms out of Rissani too but the views from here are pretty good too over the surrounding area
A lot of the young guys from Rissani come and drink here in Erfoud - the big hotels here are licensed to sell alcohol - better quality big hotels with pools are here but otherwise to see and spend a night a night in the desert there are lovely hotels there too.
- Pros:lots of dates!
- Cons:really just another Moroccan town
- In a nutshell:from time to time read...oh we're going to the desert..so we are staying at ERfoud...well Rissani and Merzouga are the closer main places...
Im still reading here and there, and noticed it showing still on the new edition of the Michelin map, of which I have... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Erfoud Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Erfoud Gateway to Erg Chebbi"
- "Sahara Sunrise"
- "ERFOUD: GATEWAY TO THE SOUTH"
- "Not really a lot here but ATMs, service station..."
- "Dunes of Merzouga"
- "Sand, Sand, Sand"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Erfoud
- Hotels in Erfoud
- Transportation in Erfoud
- Nightlife in Erfoud
- Restaurants in Erfoud
- Shopping in Erfoud
- Warnings and Dangers in Erfoud
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Erfoud
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Erfoud?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Erfoud
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Only one trip"
- updated a Erfoud Travel Page "Not really a lot here but ATMs, service station..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Not really a lot here but ATMs, service station..."
- Wrote a Review Erfoud's annual Date Festival in Erfoud Things to Do
- Commented on one of johnsakura's Erfoud travel pages
Photos in ErfoudSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 112 reviews, 425 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 97 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 61 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 27 reviews, 166 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 139 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues