"Beautiful Imilchil in the middle of the High-Atlas" Imilchil by angiebabe
Imilchil Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 58 photos
Every year theres a huge 3 day weekend affair centred around local women and men meeting together and women get to do the choosing of marriage partners!! Lots of berber entertainment with singing and dancing its a great time to see the range of music and the costumes - the government has since got involved with financial involvement for this - a representative always attends.
Its held on a huge site about 20 km from Imilchil and along with the Marriage formalities for couples involved is a huge souk bringing hundreds or thousands of Moroccans from the locality and from miles away - all over Morocco actually.
For years its been at the end of August but last year, 2009, because of Ramadan it was held afterwards in September - this year with Ramadan on from mid August, again it will be not be held until afterwards.
The tourist office at Er Rachidia have not confirmed the date but say it is most likely to be the last week of September 2010 - Ive since been back to Imilchil for the festival - 23-25 September and it was as huge as ever - got onto an excellent place to stay so heres a new tip for there and lots of photos to start putting on here and show you the lovely area that it is.
There is bitumen now all the way from Tinerhr which is a fantastic advance forward!!
Imilchil berber ladies in their very distinct Imilchil costumes and makeup - very beautiful women the Imilchil tribe produce!
There are 2 lakes here - the closest Lake Tislit which is out of town on the road to El Ksiba - turn down a side road - then a long further on that same side road right at the end is the 2nd lake Iseli. There is a hotel here at Lake Tislit but also opportunities, as we did when we were there in summer for the marriage festival, and others when we were there, to camp beside the lake.
Several roads accessing Imilchil are piste roads and we drove a few of them to get in and out of Imilchil with various trips there - very scenic and very beautiful area - an area I would love to visit in winter when theres more snow around!
The main road up from Tinerhr is all bitumen/asphalt now which is a huge improvement - makes the whole area so much more accessible and less time consuming to get there - takes about an hour and a half from Tinerhr depending on how many stops or slow downs for photos along the way!.....as its very photogenic along the whole route.
- Pros:A beautiful area
- Cons:when we there accommodation quite limited - offpeak in winter we were fine in the one hotel - and in summer we camped in a tent - also fine - but busy times such as marriage fest may prove difficult!
Historically there has for a long time been an annual marriage festival here in Imilchil where women and men in the area... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Imilchil Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Imilchil in the middle of the High-Atlas"
- "the festivel of Imilchil"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Imilchil
- 3 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 33 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (148)
Have you been to Imilchil?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Imilchil
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Who owns Europe?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Imilchil Marriage Festival"
- updated a Imilchil Travel Page "Beautiful Imilchil in the middle of the High-Atlas"
- Commented on one of angiebabe's Imilchil travel pages
- Wrote a Review Imilchil Marriage Festival in Imilchil Things to Do
Photos in ImilchilSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 106 reviews, 399 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 99 reviews, 387 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 62 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 28 reviews, 171 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 122 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues