"Finally realised I was in Ouirgane!" Ouirgane by angiebabe
Ouirgane Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 38 photos
Ouirgane is a berber village along the main road that takes you over the mouintain pass of TiznTest between Marrakech and Taroudant - so it sort of sits just below Jebel Toubkal which is the highest mountain in the Atlas mountains and in North Africa.
So therefore have driven through here many times - theres a couple of hotels to stay at here but most of the time its been dark when driving through this part and if when on my own had not worked out which village was exactly Ouirgane or when with my boyfriend who didnt want to stop!!
In February when taking a trip to just relax and drive around some of my old haunts and enjoy peak almond blossom season I phoned ahead from Marrakech and actually arranged to stay here in Ouirgane for the night...still arriving yet again in the dark!
But found it, on waking Feb here is a little dull - its further along the road that all the almond blossoms are prolific and therefore the route is even more stunning - but I took a walking tour with a local guide who took me around the village that is off the side of the main road where you wouldnt realise there was a village there...had tea with his sister in their home and got to see the gite they have for rent....was all rather nice.....before.....
backtracking to Asni and taking the road up to Imlil...where in all the years Id been coming to Morocco had only driven past this road that is the centre arriving and departing centre for treks up Mount Toubkal because the boyfriend never wanted to go up there - and in the Lonely Planet it sounded like a rough road with little but trekking guides and basic lodging at the end of it
and what a milestone that created! Stunning up at Imlil - will forever be indebted to staying at Ouirgane and then going on up from there to Imlil - so this is an excellent base - the hotel Sanglier is an excellent hotel to stay in - so it was a good opportunity to discover there are some recommendable hotels to stay at along with some gite referrals as well
When I did get up to Imlil, instead of a quick 2 or 3 hour visit I stayed 3 nights! and one of the trips I did while up there I could actualy see between some mountains down through the valley to the lake that Ouirgane is right next to
Interesting village with houses interlinking together - ie walkways under roofs that are part of a villagers house - having tea and fresh bread with olive oil and honey - and enjoying getting lovely shots of mudbrick houses with stunning pink and white almond blossoms!
So theres a few gites here that one can stay at - nice to know for a place to stay during the warmer months - freezing here without decent heating!
- Pros:an interesting village along the main route from Marrakech to Taroudant, good to know theres a few good places to choose from to stay at here, handy to Imlil in case you are running to late to make it up to Imlil.....
- Cons:the guy who was rather forceful to take me on a guided walk to see Ouirgane then wasnt happy with 50 dirham....and wanted 100! I had even given his sister 20 dirham as thanks for the tea and to help them as its remote and was a quiet time of year...
- In a nutshell:if you blink youll miss it but dont blink and dont miss it!...pretty place to stop and make an overnight here
Didnt stay here but had tea with Aicha and her family that own it and live just across the path - was shown inside to... more travel advice
You can like me intend to save spending any dirhams to find your way around the paths on your own and see where you turn... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Ouirgane Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Ouirgane
- 5 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Ouirgane?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ouirgane
Photos in OuirganeSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 105 reviews, 415 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 106 reviews, 399 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 62 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 28 reviews, 171 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 23 reviews, 143 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues