"Cascades D'ouzoud - highest falls in North Africa" Ouzoud by angiebabe
Ouzoud Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 72 photos
160 km north/northeast of Marrakech this is a favourite destination of mine as well - especially in the heat of summer a great place to head for to relax usually with a few degrees lower than the heat of Marrakech.
Plus loads of atmosphere with the roar and sight of these long drop waterfalls making their way to their landing pool below.
Of course being a scenic and respite haven the locals do their best to make the most of the tourists that do come, but fortunately still at the Moroccan tourist and independent foreign tourist laidback level rather than the 4 and 5 star tourist glitz.
Small shops line the approaching paths that run along the plateau above the falls and several cafes have vantage points as the paths make their way down the side of the falls....my memories here of roaming around the romantic falls and cool shade of the trees also connect with the sweet orange juice freshly squeezed - and of course the delicious coffee/noss noss.
You could always try haggling if you think items you like in the small stalls along the paths are overpriced but the people here are just trying to make a living out in a fairly remote area.
There is a camping area here too.
March 2011 was a spring visit after driving down from Casablanca for a friend's wedding - spring flowers everywhere along the way - down at the falls there were a few trees in full pink blossom - and driving out the next day roadsides were amass with yellow flowers with intermittent poppies - extra beautiful!..also the hotel I had stayed at a few times before had renovated and now has ensuites..very nice!
These three tiered falls drop 110 metres and its possible to walk the paths up and down both sides and also follow the river down further. There are nice little cafes and restaurants down the hillside as you make you way along the tree covered paths - nice to sit and relax, hear that lovely sound of the water falling over a sweet glass of mint tea or delicious freshly squeezed orange juice.
Cascades obviously means waterfall - and ouzoud is berber for olive which are grown prolifically in the area.
Here too live a number of, or colony of, macaques that often gather at the viewing point above the falls. One of only 2 places I know of for them to live - the other being up at Azrou in amongst the Cedar forest.
One of my favourite photos was of 2 adult monkeys with a little one posing on a rock above the falls looking just like tourists for their photo of their visit to the lovely waterfalls!
- Pros:great place to get away from the summer heat, cheap but handy and clean places to stay, scenic and romantic!
Stayed at this place a few times as it was always reliably low priced - we could get a double room here for 100 dirham,... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Ouzoud Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cascades d'Ouzoud. Surplus of water"
- "Cascades D'ouzoud - highest falls in North Africa"
- "African Adventure"
- "casacades d'ouzoud"
- See All...
- Hotels in Ouzoud
- Transportation in Ouzoud
- Restaurants in Ouzoud
- Warnings and Dangers in Ouzoud
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ouzoud
- 2 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Ouzoud?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ouzoud
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Sad News :("
- updated a Ouzoud Travel Page "Cascades D'ouzoud - highest falls in North Africa"
- Commented on one of angiebabe's Ouzoud travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cascade Douzoud - stunning waterfalls"
- Wrote a Review Still a good budget place to stay in Ouzoud Hotels
Photos in OuzoudSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 112 reviews, 425 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 97 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 61 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 27 reviews, 166 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 139 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues