"Portugeuse fortress, lots of sardines and pottery" Safi by angiebabe
Safi Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 72 photos
The sardine fleet here is apparently one of the biggest in the world - and a lot of Morocco's raw phosphate and fertilisers come here to be processed in the chemical plants just south of the town.
The 'worlds largest' tagine dish is here too in the middle of a round about at Place Mohammed V - which up until when we travelled around the area from Marrakech up to El Jadida this tagine was used once a year to make a gigantic couscous!!
Walled by the Portugeuse theres a msassive defense structure around the medina of Safi with impressive fortress with which the Portueguese built in 1508 and of course used to enforce their control here. They didnt stay long - abandoning it in 1541.
The main part, the Qasr Al-Bahr, which is at the beach and port end can be visited and climbed to the top for great views over the medina. At the end furthest away from the beach is the Kechla which is also massive with gunnery platforms, now contains the National Ceramic Museum.
Also within the walled medina are the remains of the Portugeuse cathedral which only got as far as having the choir completed.
'known all over Morocco for its production of traditional pottery - worth a visit to the pottery souk and the kilns nearby
- Cons:Just looks like an old worn old Moroccan seaside town - but worth investigating
angiebabe's Related Pages
Safi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "S A F I"
- "Portugeuse fortress, lots of sardines and pottery"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Safi
- Hotels in Safi
- Transportation in Safi
- Nightlife in Safi
- Shopping in Safi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Safi
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Safi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Safi
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 112 reviews, 421 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 97 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 61 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 27 reviews, 166 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 139 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 29 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues