"Tetouan in the Rif" Top 5 Page for this destination Tetouan by angiebabe

Tetouan Travel Guide: 108 reviews and 309 photos

Tetouan of the Rif
  • Pros:Unesco heritage medina and its a huge one, xlnt mosaics, nice views from where its perched up on its hillside, the King has a palace here,good place to buy babouches - shoes and slippers,pretty Martil and Chefchouen of the Rif are nearby
  • Cons:quite a bit of hassle in the medina - carpet shops and berber pharmacy shops to try to rip you off, freezing in winter!!, stay only at places with heating!
  • In a nutshell:interesting stopover between Tangier or Asilah and Chefchouen
  • Last visit to Tetouan: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 12, 2009

• Jan 21, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Couldn't agree more. We loved it.

My sister and I visited Tetouan in May 2012. We are mature women (54 and 56 y.o.) and were traveling with my sister's teenage daughter. I'm writing to recommend our outstanding guide, Mr. Mhamed El Khattabi, an official certified guide who speaks excellent English. We told him we were interested in culture, history and people -- no shopping -- and he respected that perfectly. As we passed through the busy market areas, he was very protective of my niece in a kindly fatherly way. He also recommended the excellent Riad Daria, which was delightfully charming and a good value for money. We were extremely happy with the services of Mhamed and want to recommend him most warmly as a kind, knowledgeable, and very honest individual.

Here is Mhamed's cell No.: 0672549398.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
      Oct 24, 2013 at 3:41 AM

that's excellent information to have here. Have you written that information into a Tetouan tip for others to see when they look through the tips available! Glad you thus had such a good visit. There are many good Moroccans who have genuine passion about their country and their visitors are guests - which is a big part of Moroccan culture that many tourists manage to miss.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Good, helpful tips here!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2010 at 12:02 PM

My one visit to Tetouan was in February and yes, it certainly was cold at night! Also not terribly warm during the day, but their peppermint tea was great for warming up.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
      Feb 16, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Fifty years ago today I took a bus from Tangiers to Tetouan. In the medina a man asked me if I spoke German. I said no and walked on, but he assured me he wasn’t trying to sell anything, he just wanted someone to read him a letter he had got from Germany. So he invited me for a glass of peppermint tea at a café and I read him the letter. He could speak and understand German quite well but couldn’t read it.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
      Feb 18, 2013 at 5:22 AM

hi yes nice to hear this sweet story again - amazing the knack though that Moroccans have for languages, esp if its part of their survival - i know Moroccans who have grown up in the sahara and not been to school past 15 but speak English, French, Arabic, Berber and Spanish or Italian and very fast computer speak! not so many also master German but one I knew who had left school very young age and could only read arabic but to all these language he could also speak High German

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2007 at 12:24 PM

A visit to the herbalist sounds interesting.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2007 at 1:13 PM

Very interesting!

• grahamNI's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2006 at 11:30 AM

hI, we are off to Tetouan in Dec and wonder what to expect? Only there for 2 days, but curious to see what we can. Thanks for your tips. Graham.

angiebabe

“be prepared, be respectful, try the food, meet the people, walk, walk, walk, keep your eyes open and take your camera”

Badges & Stats in Tetouan

Have you been to Tetouan?

Latest Activity in Tetouan