Zagora Favorite Tips by angiebabe Top 5 Page for this destination
Zagora Favorites: 10 reviews and 9 photos
Favorite thing: Ive got some pages of my visits around the area - the road to Mhamid is fine by normal car - BUT if you want to go into the desert you will need a 4x4 from there - there are agencies with 4x4s to take you into the full on sahara desert of Erg Chigaga or some that just take you into the nearby sandy hamada desert with some small dunes - you will find here in my Zagora travel page that the excellent agency at Riad Malal being one highly recommended.
From numerous visits Ive had the best dunes I would recommend to spend time and soak up the beauty are not at Mhamid but at Merzouga! which i also have a few tips of in my Merzouga and Rissani travel pages - you dont have to do camel trips as you can walk out into the dunes yourself but camel trips can be quite an exciting part of a visit to the sahara!
There is a big advantage of choosing Merzouga to head for to see sahara desert and dunes s - there are a number of auberges that are built right next to the big dunes of Erg Chebbi - the biggest ones in Morocco are at Merzouga - and you can drive right to the auberges on the verge of those dunes despite what local touts will say.
There is a bitumen road all the way to Rissani which is the nearest major town and bitumen ffrom there to Merzouga with piste/gravel/sandy roads signposted to the various auberges off the bitumen road.
1st choice is - Dunes D'or ( definitely NOT Sable D'or)
Auberge du Sud (though they ripped me off a bit)
Erg Chebbi Auberge
Not the Lahmada either. ripped me off. and many reports of others being ripped off also
but theres quite a number of auberges in the desert - spread out over a wide area - so often you will find you might be the only guests during quiet times!...nice and private!...a number of new auberges have been built since the floods in 2005 when 13 auberges were destroyed around the area
but have a look through my pages - you would enjoy the lovely drive down the Draa Valley to Mhamid and stay at the hotel Ive recommmended Riad Malal - some great walking and relaxing around there. they can do a great trip to the dunes of Chigaga if you wanted which is 45 km into the desert from Mhamid 4x4.
or the drive along the Dades Valley from Marrakech to Rissani and Merzouga is also loaded with lovely sights and mustsees - that you can relax at along the way - see my tips on Telouet, Ouarzazate, Dades Gorge, Msemrir, Tamtatouche, Rissani.
but if you only have 2 to 3 days thats really not long enough to do it as a soakd up the beauty for a couple of days! it takes a couple of days to get there and back - depending which direction you are coming from. Id say please try and stay longer! April is such a nice month.
all the best.
More Reviews (22)
angiebabe's Related Pages
Zagora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Getting The Hump in Zagora!"
- "Les folies berberes"
- "Zagora and the Draa Valley"
- "The Gate of the Desert"
- "Not quite the end of the road"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zagora
- Hotels in Zagora
- Transportation in Zagora
- Nightlife in Zagora
- Restaurants in Zagora
- Shopping in Zagora
- Warnings and Dangers in Zagora
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cabangan Hotels
- Lipno nad Vltavou
- Palmira Hotels
- Mashhad Hotels
- Idanha-a-Velha Hotels
Badges & Stats in Zagora
- 23 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Zagora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zagora
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 112 reviews, 421 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 97 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 61 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 27 reviews, 166 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 139 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 29 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues