"Visit stunning medieval Eze on its hilltop perch!" Top 5 Page for this destination Éze by angiebabe

Éze Travel Guide: 207 reviews and 640 photos

Fortifications with quite a history

The most colourful of the towns between Nice and Monaco along the Moyenne Corniche route, the medieval village of Eze winds its way around its conical rock. A labyrinth of tiny vaulted passes and stairways designed from fear of attack.

And what a history. Eze was part of Provence but in 1388 became part of the County of Savoy. In 1543 it suffered from the offensives of the Ottoman fleet of Suleyman the Magnificent allied with Francis the 1st. During the 16th and 17th centuries the village was occupied and devastated on several occasions by the French army. The remains of the castle right on top was once a circular fortress which was demolished by the soldiers of Louis 14th in 1706.

In 1860 the people of Eze voted unanimously to become part of France!

Beautifully kept medieval village

A labyrinth of passages and stairways, with beautiful stone buildings, this photo opportunity in every direction village is now a haven of antique dealers, art and craft sellers, restaurants and whatever else might appeal to wealthy tourists.

Amazing garden in the sky

At 429 metres above sea level covering the entire top of the rock above Eze and amongst the castle remains with the most amazing panoramas of the French Riviera below!

• Pros:beautiful, so impressive and exciting, here we have such an amazingly kept medieval village - makes you feel like an excited child again!and can be done in a one hour rush. The cactus garden on top is amazing!!such a stunning location and use of it!
  • Cons:needed so much more time I didnt have!
  • In a nutshell:just stunning!left so enthusiastic Id been to see it.
  • Last visit to Éze: Feb 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 8, 2008

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I've been in the area on two separate occasions and still have not made it to Eze. Your page is lovely Angie, thank you.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Angie, lovely page about this French gem. The Jardins Exotique really sound worth visiting for the views.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2009 at 2:56 PM

This appears to be a real hidden "gem" in the hills around more know areas. Great pictures and comments, and I hope to get this way in a couple of years. The trip is planned-need time

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2009 at 6:17 PM

I just had to continue with another of your enjoyable Provence pages. Isn't this a spectacular village!

• mazzap's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Amazing! So near to Nice but so different. I imagine you took hundreds of pics, it would surely be too tempting not to do so! Marion x.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2008 at 8:12 AM

Hi, thanks for the invite to your page, sorry it took so long to get here! Moors, invasions, war. Cool stuff. I am working on my Windhoek (Namibia) and Africa pages. I need a better camera for animals!

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2008 at 3:25 AM

Hi angie, long time no see!! As always your lovely pics and tips are well researched. A real pleasure for me as I haven't been back to Eze since my honeymoon in 1971. Thanks for the Utah visit.

• elmendorfs's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2008 at 3:24 PM

Hi Angie, as always your pages are beautiful and inspiring! And here's another place I'd love to visit! Heather visited near here, I'll have to ask her she's been here.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2008 at 6:01 AM

Hi, A - your postcard was truly a photographer's photograph. And picture 5 on tip 23, the new district, is another classic. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your trip. N.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Would you believe that we walked all the way up to Eze from the train station? I took us about an hour, I'm sure it burned off a few of those calories we put on during the cruise ;-)

angiebabe

“be prepared, be respectful, try the food, meet the people, walk, walk, walk, keep your eyes open and take your camera”

Badges & Stats in Éze