"Visit stunning medieval Eze on its hilltop perch!" Top 5 Page for this destination Éze by angiebabe
Éze Travel Guide: 207 reviews and 640 photos
The most colourful of the towns between Nice and Monaco along the Moyenne Corniche route, the medieval village of Eze winds its way around its conical rock. A labyrinth of tiny vaulted passes and stairways designed from fear of attack.
And what a history. Eze was part of Provence but in 1388 became part of the County of Savoy. In 1543 it suffered from the offensives of the Ottoman fleet of Suleyman the Magnificent allied with Francis the 1st. During the 16th and 17th centuries the village was occupied and devastated on several occasions by the French army. The remains of the castle right on top was once a circular fortress which was demolished by the soldiers of Louis 14th in 1706.
In 1860 the people of Eze voted unanimously to become part of France!
A labyrinth of passages and stairways, with beautiful stone buildings, this photo opportunity in every direction village is now a haven of antique dealers, art and craft sellers, restaurants and whatever else might appeal to wealthy tourists.
At 429 metres above sea level covering the entire top of the rock above Eze and amongst the castle remains with the most amazing panoramas of the French Riviera below!
- Pros:beautiful, so impressive and exciting, here we have such an amazingly kept medieval village - makes you feel like an excited child again!and can be done in a one hour rush. The cactus garden on top is amazing!!such a stunning location and use of it!
- Cons:needed so much more time I didnt have!
- In a nutshell:just stunning!left so enthusiastic Id been to see it.
Up around the Exotic Garden are signs that make interesting and worthwhile reading with information given on history on... more travel advice
The Exotic Gardens, or Jardins Exotique, designed in 1949 by agronomist Jean Gaustaud, group together several hundred... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Éze Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The beauty of Eze-village"
- "Visit stunning medieval Eze on its hilltop perch!"
- "Eze-A Medieval View of France"
- "Eze ~ Medieval French Village Shines Like A Jewel"
- "High on a Mountain Top"
- "Eze - Côte d’Azur"
- "Eze - one of the most accessible perched villages"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Éze
- Hotels in Éze
- Transportation in Éze
- Restaurants in Éze
- Shopping in Éze
- Warnings and Dangers in Éze
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Éze
- 12 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (145)
Have you been to Éze?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Éze
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The Ultimate USofA road trip "
- Commented on one of angiebabe's Éze travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "read the information signs - Orange roofs of Eze"
- Wrote a Review read the information signs - Orange roofs of Eze in Éze Things to Do
- updated a Éze Travel Page "Visit stunning medieval Eze on its hilltop perch!"
Photos in ÉzeSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 106 reviews, 399 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 99 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 62 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 28 reviews, 171 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues