"Beautiful Omapere in the Hokianga Harbour!" Omapere by angiebabe
Omapere Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 56 photos
For years from early childhood we travelled 6-7 hours from Te Kuiti to see my grandparents at Waimamaku - just out of the Waipoua forest famous for its huge and amazing Kauri trees - having endured the winding roads of heavy gravel that seemed to go on forever! (since wonderfully modernised to smooth tar seal) up in the pretty remote north where your next door neighbour was the next farm along but real community living and everyone knows each other.
My grandmother had a 'bach' - kiwi for holiday house generally near the beach, at omapere and it was great to head off the 5 miles or so off to the beach. and no matter how many times the view from the top was always special -" wow look at the huge blue sea and the sand on the other sand"!!!
With each visit the long stretches of beautiful white sand looking over to the orange sands on the dunes across the harbour I more and more appreciate the opportunities to spend time here.
There used to be a signal station positioned here above the entrance to the harbour - now called Signal Point.
From here its a nice walk on further to the heads where there is a blow hole - more dramatic when the tide is full. Check with the local stores for info.
The entrance to hokianga harbour has its typical bar - which can be difficult and dangerous for boats in bad weather.
Excellent views from Signal Point - can see way up the harbour to , for example, Rawene, where there is a car ferry enabling harbour crossing to Kohukohu without the drive around the whole huge area. A quicker route to areas such as Keri Keri and on up to the top of the North Island ie 90 mile beach and Cape Reinga at the very top.
The early pioneers came in by boat to settle the north here at Omapere - the 150th anniversary was celebrated several years which my grandparents attended, everyone donned old costumes and made a real celebration of it.
Just the next bay along is Opononi, known for Opo the dolphin, where there is a statue remembering the excitement the arrival of a dolphin that stayed quite a lengthy period in the bay playing and swimming with the locals - generating news and attention all over New Zealand - until one day it was found dead having been killed by someone.
Our lovely huge pinetrees and view to the beach!!
- Pros:Still untouristy, away from the throngs who chuck litter and use too much water and make it difficult for the locals!Beautifu white sand and views across to the dunes on the other side of the harbour.Info office and nearby sites for history seekers.
- Cons:the remoteness does make it difficult for economics and progress of those growing up in the area.
Stunning views from everywhere in the house - and a patio out the front to sit and enjoy the view and the sound of the... more travel advice
If you are driving make sure you stop at the top of the huge hill heading in or out of Omapere for a great view of the... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Omapere Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Omapere in the Hokianga Harbour!"
- "Tiny but pretty Omapere on the north West coast"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Omapere
- 7 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (143)
Have you been to Omapere?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Omapere
- Posted in Travel Marrakesh Forum "Re: Travel in April - Queries"
- Commented on one of angiebabe's Omapere tips
- updated a Omapere Travel Page "Beautiful Omapere in the Hokianga Harbour!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Beautiful Omapere in the Hokianga Harbour!"
- Wrote a Review Self contained holiday with... in Omapere Hotels
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 106 reviews, 399 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 99 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 62 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 28 reviews, 171 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues