"Carnarvon Gorge, Queensland" Carnarvon National Park by angiebabe
Carnarvon National Park Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 139 photos
I worked here for just over a year after throwing my 3 year long job of selling encyclopedias door to door around New Zealand and Australia.
Got the job and drove up from Brisbane to Carnarvon Gorge to start work in housekeeping ie to service the luxury tourist tents and the catering department.
One of my best friends who had moved to Australia from New Zealand with the encyclopedia business came up with me as it was a long drive - about 12 hours - into a part of Australia and North Queensland we had never been - we had done sales trips as far out and north to Toowoomba and Roma, and Bundaberg and Maryborough.
The drive up is an experience in itself! We had kangaroos bouncing out into the road in the dark - one kindly took my front number plate and broke the grill but thankfully did not damage anything the car (trusty Aussie Ford Falcon of course! a mammoth 4.1 XD) needed to keep running to get us up to our objective.
We turned off the main highway and werse now on the dirt road between Rollestons and Carnarvon but had to stop though at the first river crossing as it looked kinda like we had taken a wrong turn off or something - but we were on the right road and came to drive that dirt road in various weathers and cross that river crossing many times.
Got to know a lot of the locals - many are property owners ie cattle or sheep cockies, or jackeroos that work on them.
Also a lot of other contractors - ie fencing contractors, sheep shearers, and then of course national park staff.
Theres a range of advice and education that is needed about travelling and living out in areas like this - learning to think about your own personal safety and anyone with you....having a good map and being aware of the remoteness and the potentially harsh surroundings
ie being aware of the poisonous species that are also here and to remember to think about where they might be - checking your clothing, checking under the bed, shutting doors and windows, wearing proper shoes and checking them before putting them on. Not putting your hands into dark places without being able to see what might be there first!
Then making sure you have enough fuel in your vehicle, knowing where to locate the nearest petrol station or break down service! having your vehicle in good condition with services up to date before setting off on a long trip out here. Even have a 2nd spare tyre can be a good idea along with water, a shovel, a brick or something sturdy for your jack, a good torch and spare batteries, having a torch app on your smartphone, a can of CRC/DW40, a good sized bottle of spare water and detergent to keep the windscreen clean. Even a blanket and a decent first aid kit...
- Pros:aboriginal art within the national park, walks through native foliage, rare macazamia tree grows here, interesting to experience aussie country life
- Cons:dirt roads bog up in rain, 2 hours from nearest post office, the roos want to come thru your windscreen or take your number plate when driving at night
- In a nutshell:a beautiful area to spend some time
angiebabe's Related Pages
Carnarvon National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Carnarvon National Park"
- "Bigger than you think"
- "Carnarvon Gorge National Park"
- "Carnarvon Gorge, Queensland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Carnarvon National Park
- Hotels in Carnarvon National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Carnarvon National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Carnarvon National Park
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (147)
Have you been to Carnarvon National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carnarvon National Park
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 106 reviews, 399 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 99 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 62 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 28 reviews, 171 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues