"Old Half-Timbered Town of Vernon near Monet" Vernon by angiebabe
Vernon Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 65 photos
This was my third time to be driving past - previous times had just driven past, noticed a turreted castle looking place from the roundabout on the edge of the town turning off to Giverny to see Monet's garden at Giverny a feew kilometres from Vernon, normally been in a hurry and not realised there was much more than that to see at this town of Vernon and so just kept going.
This time i headed for the youth hostel at Vernon to spend the night, after visiting Chatillon Chateau, as it was a cheap place to stay after all the expensive nights in Paris and it was close to Giverny so that i could have the chance to see Monet's wonderful garden at Giverny again and still have time to drive down to Montreux.
When i had a quick drive around the streets of downtown Vernon before getting to the Youth hostel before closing time at 10pm (it wasnt getting dark there till about 1030pm! excellent eh!) i saw some excellent looking buildings, including half timbered ones and thought great will have to see them in the morning!
At the youth hostel there was more information on the sights to see around Vernon including a walking map with recommended buildings to see in the centre and the history about them, all which went onto my plans for the morning!
Of course an excellent halftimbered town would not be complete without towers or castles - for us medieval and photo mad tourists anyway - but yes the people who lived here back then did have some towers and castles.
In Rue des Ecuries des Gardes, on the site of the old fortified castle of Vernon there remains a 22 metre high tower built in the 12th century. It is now houses the town's archives so is now called the Archive Tower!
On the other side of the river that passes through the town, which is the River Seine! (yes you've heard of that famous river! - apart from war battles and so on its the river that runs through Paris!), is Le Chateau des Tourelles, also built in the 12th century this fortress had to control and protect the bridge that gave access to the fortified medieval city of Vernon.
There are some streets on the walking tour's map as being what remain of medieval alley ways and backyards to visit, along with Butchers Street, or Rue de la Boucherie - of course where the butchers were, giving a good example of medieval town planning.
Further there is Chickens feet street - or erigots street - which written in the walking tour information given said that it mightve been where chicken feet were thrown away!
And it was far too long before I was ready to leave! I really overspent my time budget and ran seriously late for Giverny and Montreux! But I am glad I stayed and saw!
- Pros:some excellent castles, old halftimbered houses and buildings from the 12th to 17th centuries
- In a nutshell:lovely buildings, medieval streets and carvings from history days gone by
In the old days....! there were houses built on bridges ...but anyway heres the remains of what apparently were 5...and... more travel advice
From the Youth hostel brochures I found a walking guide of the little streets and building sights around the town which... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Vernon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Old Half-Timbered Town of Vernon near Monet"
- "Beautiful French Town..."
- "Cherry capital"
- "Vibrant Vernon."
- "Vernon, FR"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vernon
- 6 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Vernon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vernon
Photos in VernonSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 111 reviews, 418 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 95 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 60 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 27 reviews, 166 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 139 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 28 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues