"Gwlad, Gwlad!!" Wales by aaaarrgh
Wales Travel Guide: 4,823 reviews and 15,277 photos
"Old mountainous Wales, poet's paradise,
Every valley, every cliff is beautiful to my vision"
This is a rough translation of the second verse of the Welsh National Anthem. What a great national anthem, celebrating beautiful landscapes, people, poetry and not worshipping war, or an unelected monarch!
Wales is extremely diverse...
South Wales is very industrial, with large cities, decling heavy industry and not many sheep. Cardiff gets more than its fair share of the money and prestige (no sheep at all). The South Wales Valleys are filled with the memories of great mining communities, terraced housing hugging the valley sides (occasional sheep).
Northwest Wales is the Welsh-speaking heartland, around Caernarfon and Ynys Mon (Anglesey). Here you will find the highest mountains, and plenty of sheep.
Southwest Wales has great coasts, beaches, sea mists, sunsets, cows and some sheep.
Mid Wales has hills, sheep, market towns and some more sheep.
Wales is united and defined by its Celtic roots and unusual common language, with lots of Ll's and dd's, y's and w's, and not very many English vowells :-))
It has its own Senedd (or Parliament), with a stylish new iconic building completed in... ...you've guessed it.... Cardiff.
Land of sheep, amongst other things. Almost 10 million of them. That's over 15,000 flocks! Yes I said flocks, as in 'herds of sheep', stop making up your own jokes please ;-)
The Welsh have infinite patience when it comes to jokes about sheep. We tell an English person we are from Wales and the jokes soon start. All those lonely Welsh shepherds had to find some method of keeping warm on those cold dark evenings...
Newport (Gwent) Pages
My tips refer generally to South and Mid Wales. I have visited most parts of North Wales several times, but many years ago, and no photos to show for it. The Northwest corner is the most special area, with castles, real mountains and much spoken Welsh. Go there if you can.
- Pros:Mountains, valleys, beaches, castles, song, Dylan Thomas, Iaith Cymraeg
- Cons:Rain, drizzle, glaw, damp weather, plenty of poverty
- In a nutshell:Croeso i Gymru! Forget England and Scotland, you MUST visit ;o)
Caerleon is a pretty town close to Newport and the M4 motorway in South Wales. It is important for its Roman remains,... more travel advice
One very important thing that defines Wales is its own language - Welsh/Cymraeg. This is not a dialect but an ancient... more travel advice
aaaarrgh's Related Pages
Wales Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Wales"
- "A Week in North Wales"
- "A beautifull country"
- "Croeso Cymru"
- "A few nights in Wales"
- "Gwlad, Gwlad!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wales
- Hotels in Wales
- Transportation in Wales
- Nightlife in Wales
- Restaurants in Wales
- Shopping in Wales
- Warnings and Dangers in Wales
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Wales
- 135 Reviews
- 234 Photos
- 134 Forum posts
- 10 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Wales?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wales
- Posted in Travel United Kingdom Forum "Re: Are train advance tickets..."
- updated a Wales Travel Page "Gwlad, Gwlad!!"
- Wrote a Review Caerleon - well preserved Roman town! in Wales Things to Do
- Commented on one of where_the_wind_blows's Wales travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wales Award-winning Parliament Building"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 60 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bristol Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos
- Wales Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ludlow Intro, 20 reviews, 30 photos
- England Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Intro, 17 reviews, 30 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bordeaux Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Granada Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (28)
Top Wales hotels
- Llandudno Hotels
- 245 Reviews - 476 Photos
- Cardiff Hotels
- 1086 Reviews - 3037 Photos
- Tenby Hotels
- 93 Reviews - 234 Photos
- Swansea Hotels
- 99 Reviews - 258 Photos
- Newport Hotels
- 42 Reviews - 95 Photos
- Llangollen Hotels
- 70 Reviews - 186 Photos
- Saundersfoot Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 18 Photos
- Usk Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 20 Photos
- Conwy Hotels
- 153 Reviews - 590 Photos
- Llanelli Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 10 Photos
- Cader Idris Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Bangor Hotels
- 90 Reviews - 234 Photos
- Chepstow Hotels
- 68 Reviews - 214 Photos
- Llanberis Hotels
- 70 Reviews - 262 Photos
- Carmarthen Hotels
- 30 Reviews - 141 Photos