"Abingdon - more people should visit here!!" Abingdon-on-Thames by aaaarrgh
Abingdon-on-Thames Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 57 photos
Famous for being the town where aaaarrgh was born, way way back in the mists of the time.
Abingdon really is a very nice historic town. Apparently it has 3000 years of history, the longest continually inhabited site in England!!
It was the site of England's first Abbey. The Market Place has had regular weekly markets since the 16th century. Overlooking the Market place is the most splendid Town Hall, which was built by a pupil of England's most famous architect, Sir Christopher Wren. Nearby St Helen's Church is famed for being the second widest church in England.
Famous more recently for being the home of the MG sports car factory.
Tourist Information Office on Bridge Street, as you enter the town over the old bridge, from the south.
Abingdon's fabulous County Hall is currently being refurbished. Hopefully it will be worth the wait, because the works do not finish until Spring 2012.
In the meantime, the building looks like it has been wrapped by the French installation artist Christo - it is completely covered with plastic sheet and scaffolding. Curiously, at a special bun-throwing event to celebrate William and Catherine's wedding, buns had to be thrown through the scaffolding and plastic!
In the meantime, because the County Hall is one of THE reasons to visit Abingdon, you seriously might want to postpone your visit.
- Pros:Not far from Oxford, on the River Thames, history, architecture...
- Cons:Sprawling housing estates spreading ever wider
- In a nutshell:One of England's most historic towns
Behind St Helens Church are some splendid almshouses which were built to house some of Abingdon's old and poor. Long... more travel advice
Nothing is left from Abingdon Abbey, except for the 13th century Exchequer, or Checker building on Thames Street. After... more travel advice
aaaarrgh's Related Pages
Abingdon-on-Thames Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Abingdon - more people should visit here!!"
- "Abingdon, Berkshire or Oxfordshire."
- "An hour in Abingdon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Abingdon-on-Thames
- Transportation in Abingdon-on-Thames
- Restaurants in Abingdon-on-Thames
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Abingdon-on-Thames
- 7 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Abingdon-on-Thames?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Abingdon-on-Thames
- Posted in Travel Cardiff Forum "Re: Pub name reminder"
- Wrote a Review Long Alley Almshouses in Abingdon-on-Thames Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Long Alley Almshouses"
- updated a Abingdon-on-Thames Travel Page "Abingdon - more people should visit here!!"
- Commented on one of Tdiver's Abingdon-on-Thames travel pages
Photos in Abingdon-on-ThamesSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 60 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bristol Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos
- Wales Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ludlow Intro, 20 reviews, 30 photos
- England Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos
- Newport Intro, 17 reviews, 30 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bordeaux Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Granada Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue