"Bricky - Lively, but no riots for 30 years" Brixton by aaaarrgh
Brixton Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 21 photos
Argh! Spoken too soon! On 7th August 2011 there were clashes between police and youths in Brixton High Street and shops were looted. Honestly, this is not a regular event!
Brixton can be exceptionally colourful and lively, especially on a sunny Saturday when musicians and singers can be found in the main streets. At night it can be lively too, with bars, music venues and clubs.
I found myself living in the centre of Brixton for 18 months and started my own introduction by reading some books by Alex Wheatle. Alex, a well known black author, grew up in the area and writes exciting novels about growing up in Brixton, both today and during the famous Brixton Riots (1981).
Many things have changed for the better over the years, as lessons have been learnt from the angry 1980's uprisings against racism and poverty. House prices mean the area is becoming more wealthy again. As the recognised centre of the UK's Afro-Caribbean culture, Brixton will be the location of a new home for the Black Cultural Archives, on which work has just commenced.
Lambeth Town Hall is located in Brixton. It is an impressive building that was completed in 1908. Opposite is a very attractive newly landscaped square with Brixton's public library and the excellent Ritzy Cinema.
Brixton must boast one of the more impressive MacDonalds too. It faces Lambeth Town hall and also has its own public clock (though this one only shows the correct time twice per day!).
- Pros:Lively, colourful, noisy, sometimes riotous...
- Cons:Occasional well publicised violent incidents
- In a nutshell:Distinct and unique part of London, nay, the UK!
A major landmark on the main road in Brixton is Morley's, an independently owned (in fact family owned) department... more travel advice
I don't quite know whether Ritzy Cinema is a 'Thing to do', 'Nightlife' or 'Restaurant' tip! It could easily be all... more travel advice
aaaarrgh's Related Pages
Brixton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rock down to Electric Avenue (or Coldharbour Lane)"
- "Bricky - Lively, but no riots for 30 years"
- "The wickedest street in all London"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brixton
- Nightlife in Brixton
- Restaurants in Brixton
- Shopping in Brixton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brixton
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Brixton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brixton
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 60 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bristol Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos
- Wales Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ludlow Intro, 20 reviews, 30 photos
- England Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos
- Newport Intro, 17 reviews, 30 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bordeaux Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Granada Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue