Cardiff Sports & Outdoors Tips by aaaarrgh Top 5 Page for this destination
Cardiff Sports & Outdoors: 23 reviews and 27 photos
See main Cardiff page for photo...
The Wales Millennium Stadium cost £100million to build and brought the construction company to its knees! The stadium is currently the best in Britain and, until there is a decent stadium in London, hosts many of the British football finals. It seats almost 75,000 people. Its first event in 1999 was to host the Rugby World Cup. It is the main home for the Wales rugby and football teams.
The stadium has a roof that can close! Well, only when we want it to, as the South African rugby team found recently when it was left open deliberately to let the rain in!! Wales are used to getting muddy on the rugby field!!! On 31 December 1999 the stadium hosted the world’s largest indoor rock concert.
The stadium is superb because of its location. It is 2 minutes walk from the main train and bus station. When a big event happens part of the city centre is closed to traffic. The roads around the Civic Centre become an enormous coach park.
Above all, the stadium is great for sport!! Wherever you sit, you get a tremendous view of the action. From the upper levels, it feels like you are directly above the pitch. This is what makes the stadium great. I have fond memories of watching Wales beat Italy and Argentina at football :)
Some other people have mixed feelings. Wales’ only Olympic-sized swimming pool was demolished to make way for the Stadium. Car traffic can be bad on match days. It is difficult to get out of Cardiff by car after events (so stay the night, or come by train!). Shopkeepers think that stadium events keep shoppers away. Personally I love being able to wander down the middle of a street!!
Of course, there are never enough bars or toilets in this place. The queue’s can sometimes be very long.
There are also regular tours of the Stadium. I’ve seen other people say they are not worth it. So buy an event ticket instead to see the stadium in action!
Take a walk along the new River Walk which snakes along beside the ...erm ...river and is open most days.
Equipment: Large multicoloured jester's hat - they are usually on sale around Cardiff on match days :))
Address: Westgate Street/Wood Street, Cardiff
Directions: Cardiff City Centre by the River Taff
Phone: +44 (0)870 013 8600
Theme: Sports Watching
More Reviews (59)
- See All Old Country Pub with Great Food
- See All The city of greedy seagulls!
- See All The Open Boat ~ friendly independent...
- See All Gigs in an old Church
- Cardiff's Parking Voucher System
- See All Norwegian Cardiff
- See All Cardiff International Airport
- See All Good value with added wild life!
- Match Days in the City Centre
- Left Luggage facility at Tourist...
- See All Fireworks, fireworks and more...
- See All Cardiff 's Colourful Indoor Market
aaaarrgh's Related Pages
Cardiff Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cardiff - the friendly capital"
- "Prifddinas Cymru (Capital of Wales)"
- "Croeso i Gaerdydd/ Welcome to Cardiff"
- "Cardiff ......My Hometown"
- "Cosmopolitan Cardiff"
- "capital of Wales"
- "Caerdydd - Britain's young capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cardiff
- Hotels in Cardiff
- Transportation in Cardiff
- Nightlife in Cardiff
- Restaurants in Cardiff
- Shopping in Cardiff
- Warnings and Dangers in Cardiff
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cardiff
- 60 Reviews
- 102 Photos
- 68 Forum posts
- 53 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Cardiff?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cardiff
- Posted in Travel Cardiff Forum "Re: Pub name reminder"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Costa del Cymru, for one night only"
- Commented on one of ettiewyn's Cardiff travel pages
- Wrote a Review Old Country Pub with Great Food about Pubs/Bars in Cardiff Restaurants
- updated a Cardiff Travel Page "Prifddinas Cymru (Capital of Wales)"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 60 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bristol Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos
- Wales Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ludlow Intro, 20 reviews, 30 photos
- England Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos
- Newport Intro, 17 reviews, 30 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bordeaux Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Granada Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (27)
- Cardiff Castle- 59 Reviews, 147 Photos
- Cardiff Bay AKA Tiger Bay- 42 Reviews, 113 Photos
- Millennium Stadium- 21 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Parks and Gardens- 33 Reviews, 104 Photos
- Castell Coch- 10 Reviews, 27 Photos
- National Museum- 12 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Shopping- 12 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Norwegian Church- 13 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Museum Welsh Life- 11 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Cardiff Bay Visitor Centre AKA The Tube- 6 Reviews, 14 Photos
See All Cardiff Things to Do