"Prifddinas Cymru (Capital of Wales)" Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff by aaaarrgh
Cardiff Travel Guide: 1,056 reviews and 3,022 photos
Cardiff ('Caerdydd') is Europe's youngest capital city, of Wales, a small country with a strong identity. Because of its status as a capital city Cardiff has a wide range of facilities but is still small enough to feel intimate. The city centre itself is compact and everything else (civic buildings, art gallery, castle, arcades, shops) is within easy walking distance. There is a vibrant nightlife, with a University and thousands of students. Not quite a 24 hour city but still lots going on!
The city has some of the largest urban parks in the UK. Bute Park fills the centre of the city next to the River Taff, running all the way to the suburb of Llandaff. At the other end of the city Cardiff's docks area has become an area of entertainment with walks, cafe's, restaurants, boat trips and a tidal barrage.
Please note that Cardiff is not typical of Wales. It is a unique city in a small country - far bigger, far richer, far more 'English' than Swansea, Newport, Caernarfon, Aberystwyth... No sheep either. There are many other facets of the country. Do not think you have seen Wales until you have gone further than Cardiff.
Check out my pages for nearby locations ~
Penarth (2 miles southwest)
Barry/Yr Barri (7 miles west)
Caerphilly/Caerffili (8 miles north)
Newport/Casnewydd (city 12 miles east)
Swansea/Abertawe (city 35 miles west)
WALES PAGE (locations, culture)
100million GBP of Millennium Stadium right in the middle of the city. 74,000 seats and with a roof that opens and closes! How exciting is that? Famous throughout the rugby playing world.
Sometimes I miss the old Arms Park just a bit. It looked like a big concrete spider and let the sound of the events boom out into the city. If you look hard, you can see some remains of the Arms Park because it was used to support the north side of the new stadium.
- Pros:Not typical of Wales. Rich, thriving multicultural capital city that retains an intimate feel
- Cons:Rains often - this is typical of Wales ;o)
- In a nutshell:A compact city to enjoy with something for everyone!
Lovely period pub and restaurant in the village of St Fagan's, next door to the Welsh National History Museum. The... more travel advice
Captain Ben drove the Cardiff Bay Water Buses for many years and, in April 2011, bought his own boat, called it... more travel advice
- See All Gigs in an old Church
- Cardiff's Parking Voucher System
- See All Norwegian Cardiff
- See All Cardiff International Airport
- See All Good value with added wild life!
aaaarrgh's Related Pages
Cardiff Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cardiff - the friendly capital"
- "Prifddinas Cymru (Capital of Wales)"
- "Croeso i Gaerdydd/ Welcome to Cardiff"
- "Cardiff ......My Hometown"
- "Cosmopolitan Cardiff"
- "capital of Wales"
- "Caerdydd - Britain's young capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cardiff
- Hotels in Cardiff
- Transportation in Cardiff
- Nightlife in Cardiff
- Restaurants in Cardiff
- Shopping in Cardiff
- Warnings and Dangers in Cardiff
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cardiff
- 60 Reviews
- 102 Photos
- 68 Forum posts
- 53 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Cardiff?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cardiff
- Posted in Travel Cardiff Forum "Re: Pub name reminder"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Costa del Cymru, for one night only"
- Commented on one of ettiewyn's Cardiff travel pages
- Wrote a Review Old Country Pub with Great Food about Pubs/Bars in Cardiff Restaurants
- updated a Cardiff Travel Page "Prifddinas Cymru (Capital of Wales)"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 60 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bristol Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos
- Wales Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ludlow Intro, 20 reviews, 30 photos
- England Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos
- Newport Intro, 17 reviews, 30 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bordeaux Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Granada Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue