"Prifddinas Cymru (Capital of Wales)" Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff by aaaarrgh

Cardiff Travel Guide: 1,057 reviews and 3,027 photos

OK, I only pretend to speak Welsh.

Cardiff ('Caerdydd') is Europe's youngest capital city, of Wales, a small country with a strong identity. Because of its status as a capital city Cardiff has a wide range of facilities but is still small enough to feel intimate. The city centre itself is compact and everything else (civic buildings, art gallery, castle, arcades, shops) is within easy walking distance. There is a vibrant nightlife, with a University and thousands of students. Not quite a 24 hour city but still lots going on!

The city has some of the largest urban parks in the UK. Bute Park fills the centre of the city next to the River Taff, running all the way to the suburb of Llandaff. At the other end of the city Cardiff's docks area has become an area of entertainment with walks, cafe's, restaurants, boat trips and a tidal barrage.

Please note that Cardiff is not typical of Wales. It is a unique city in a small country - far bigger, far richer, far more 'English' than Swansea, Newport, Caernarfon, Aberystwyth... No sheep either. There are many other facets of the country. Do not think you have seen Wales until you have gone further than Cardiff.

Check out my pages for nearby locations ~
Penarth
(2 miles southwest)
Barry/Yr Barri (7 miles west)
Caerphilly/Caerffili (8 miles north)
Newport/Casnewydd (city 12 miles east)
Swansea/Abertawe (city 35 miles west)
WALES PAGE (locations, culture)

Wales Millennium Stadium

100million GBP of Millennium Stadium right in the middle of the city. 74,000 seats and with a roof that opens and closes! How exciting is that? Famous throughout the rugby playing world.

Sometimes I miss the old Arms Park just a bit. It looked like a big concrete spider and let the sound of the events boom out into the city. If you look hard, you can see some remains of the Arms Park because it was used to support the north side of the new stadium.

• Pros:Not typical of Wales. Rich, thriving multicultural capital city that retains an intimate feel
  • Cons:Rains often - this is typical of Wales ;o)
  • In a nutshell:A compact city to enjoy with something for everyone!
  • Intro Updated Sep 12, 2011

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2011 at 8:28 AM

Fantastic tips - very helpful and interesting, and well written! Thanks a lot :-)

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Nice job of filling up my Trip Planner for Cardiff, Sean. Your tips are really thourough and interesting. Hope we can arrange a meeting. I will e-mail you.

• a5floor's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2009 at 3:49 AM

Cardiff seems an interesting city. Maybe I go there one day.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2008 at 9:30 AM

I hope to visit Cardiff someday. Your page is filled with excellent tips and photos! However, I am a little disappointed that you didn't even mention the greatest Welshman of them all, Sir Tom Jones. Cheers from New Jersey, Bill

• poons's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2008 at 5:53 AM

Happy Birthday to you Sean! I may be along your way soon. Would be great to catch you. Hey, maybe I could help with the art spotting project in the Bay :o)

• jelw's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2008 at 1:39 AM

Great pages. I hadn't stopped by in awhile. Glad I did. Hope your buckets are overflowing.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2007 at 7:52 AM

uuumm...the locals may have brains to drink, but the town planners seem to lack some. great page.

• geoveo's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2007 at 3:38 PM

Hi there Sean. you might like to look at my page here: Rugby Things to Do Tips by geoveo

• Suet's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2007 at 1:35 AM

Yes I do believe there ARE people you recognise on my Cardiff page! :) We are swinging by to pick up Myfanwe en route to the Euromeet 2008... care to follow us in your car?

• Karolina01's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2007 at 2:00 PM

Very good page about Cardiff. I like your language tips.

aaaarrgh Lives Here!

aaaarrgh

“Expect the worst and you will always be pleasantly surprised”

Badges & Stats in Cardiff

Have you been to Cardiff?

Latest Activity in Cardiff