"Chepstow - fortified border town on the Wye" Top 5 Page for this destination Chepstow by aaaarrgh
Chepstow Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 200 photos
Chepstow is a pleasant Welsh town facing England across the swirling waters of the River Wye. Of course, many people visit here for its historic castle. Me included. But the town has its additional charms, with some quaint shops and interesting attractions. There is a Museum and a pleasant parish church.
National Express buses stop here on the route between Cardiff and London. There are also good links to Gloucester and Bristol. Not too far away is the estuary of the River Severn and the first of the suspension bridges linking England and Wales. But, judging by the roaring traffic through Chepstow, I think many car drivers come through the town to avoid paying the expensive tolls on the bridge.
One thing that impressed me in particular was
the large amount of visitor information on display
in the town. There are free maps at the Tourist
Information Centre, so why not follow your nose
and keep an eye open for plaques and signs, on
walls and inset into the pavement.
- Pros:Some picturesque corners. Pretty countryside. Good transport links.
- Cons:Slippery steps - I fell and smashed my lovely digital camera :-((
- In a nutshell:Pleasant, accessible town with a great castle.
Tintern Abbey, now majestic ruins, was Britain's second Cistercian abbey dating from 1131. It is only a few miles north... more travel advice
I was tempted to make this a 'Warnings & Dangers' tip after myself and another person slipped on the church's... more travel advice
aaaarrgh's Related Pages
Chepstow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Chepstow"
- "Chepstow - fortified border town on the Wye"
- "My first Welsh Castle - Chepstow"
- "CHEPSTOW & CASTLE"
- "Chepstow and its castle"
- "Charming Chepstow"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chepstow
- Hotels in Chepstow
- Transportation in Chepstow
- Nightlife in Chepstow
- Restaurants in Chepstow
- Shopping in Chepstow
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chepstow
- 7 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Chepstow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chepstow
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 60 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bristol Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos
- Wales Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ludlow Intro, 20 reviews, 30 photos
- England Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos
- Newport Intro, 17 reviews, 30 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bordeaux Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Granada Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue