"'Alifax [insert appropriate Yorkshire saying here]" Halifax by aaaarrgh
Halifax Travel Guide: 176 reviews and 1,067 photos
Despite the September rain, Halifax was a pleasant surprise, filled with delightful historic buildings built on the wealth of the Yorkshire wool and cloth industries. The area combines fascinating architecture with the soot of the industrial revolution and the green countryside of the Yorkshire Dales. During my brief visit, the local people I met were universally friendly and eager to chat.
In 2008 the Halifax area was the unwitting location for a large and boistrous Virtual Tourist gathering. The weekend revolved around a visit to see the Sowerby Bridge Rush Bearing Festival. Many thanks go to local Halifax guru, ricky52, for organising the event.
VT member diosh went to great lengths to create a cake for the occasion. Which reminds me, my piece is still in my backpack, but I'm sure it will still taste nice...
- Pros:Ricky52's hospitality
- Cons:Can be wet. Quiet on Sundays.
- In a nutshell:Where thar's mook thar's brass
Excellent hotel within easy walking distance of the town centre, bus and train stations, with plenty of car parking... more travel advice
Halifax boasts the only remaining Cloth Hall in Yorkshire and the oldest one in Great Britain. In actuality, the Piece... more travel advice
aaaarrgh's Related Pages
Halifax Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A SMASHIN' TIME IN HALIFAX UK"
- "VTers hit Halifax and surrounding area"
- "IT'S A BLAST !"
- "My first Rushbearing Meet"
- "Halifax - pretty, small and full of history..."
- "Halifax... the home of the Building Society"
- "Halifax and Calderdale"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Halifax
- Hotels in Halifax
- Transportation in Halifax
- Nightlife in Halifax
- Restaurants in Halifax
- Shopping in Halifax
- Warnings and Dangers in Halifax
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Halifax
- 4 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Halifax?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Halifax
- Posted in Travel United Kingdom Forum "Re: Are train advance tickets..."
- Commented on one of suvanki's Halifax travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Location for VT's 2008 Yorkshire Meeting"
- Wrote a Review Location for VT's 2008 Yorkshire... in Halifax Hotels
- updated a Halifax Travel Page "'Alifax [insert appropriate Yorkshire saying here]"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 60 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bristol Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos
- Wales Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ludlow Intro, 20 reviews, 30 photos
- England Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos
- Newport Intro, 17 reviews, 30 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bordeaux Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Granada Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (27)
Latest Halifax hotel reviews
- The Hobbit
- 122 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Wool Merchant Hotel
- 59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 18, 2013
- The Fleece Hotel Bar & Restaurant
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- The Rock Hotel
- 156 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 28, 2013
- The White Swan Hotel
- 95 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 27, 2013
- Travelodge Halifax Central
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 11, 2013