"Ludlow - very, very tasty!" Top 5 Page for this destination Ludlow by aaaarrgh

Ludlow Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 111 photos

The towne doth stand most part upon a hill,
Built well and fayre, with streates both large and wide,...
And who that lists to walke the towne about,
Shall finde therin some rare and pleasant things...

Thomas Churchyard, poet(1587)

Ludlow has loads of stunning architecture and pretty streets. There are 500 listed historic buildings, including the ornate Feathers Hotel. Ludlow found its wealth from making cloth in the Middle Ages. It has a large market square next to an enormous 12th century Castle. The medieval town walls are still in existence, as well as the ancient 'grid' street pattern and one of the town gates.

Ludlow became the UK's first official "Slow Town" in 2004, I kid you not :-)

There are numerous regular weekly outdoor markets in the town. Ludlow is at the centre of England's organic food industry. The town is famous for its Food & Drink Festival in September each year. It also has an Arts Festival around June/July time.

Has that wetted your appetite?

For many months I was designing
a "Slow Centre" for Ludlow. I was
studying architecture at Cardiff University.
So I know the Ludlow area almost as well
as my home neighbourhood!

Unfortunately the college decided to throw
away my beautiful model before I could
rescue it, grrrrrr!!

• Pros:The nicest small English town I have ever visited!!
  • Cons:Not exactly 'on the beaten track'. Rather 'middle class'. Made money from oppressing the Welsh!
  • In a nutshell:Ludlow should be on everyone's list of "must do's"!!
  • Last visit to Ludlow: Jan 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 31, 2008

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Loved your Ludlow description's!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Cool page on Ludlow which I visited twicein the 80s. Had a friend living close to Dinham bridge. Sadly, she passed away. So thanks for bringing back memories.

• lomi's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2010 at 5:41 AM

I cant belive how much I missed on my trip to Ludlow. I have made a vow to revisit when next in the UK. Thank you.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2009 at 11:34 AM

What a great description of the town, and the detail is super. Our hope is to take a tour of the region in next few years, and see these village type communities. Thank you

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2008 at 2:33 AM

Hi Sean xlnt pic here-snow on them hills?been wantg to get here for the Food Festival after finding out about it&how great Ludlow looks when at Much Wenlock-but took off in an opp direction.Now Ive missed it again for another yr!hope all is well with u!

• Aug 8, 2008 at 1:27 AM

Thanks for this page! Just put Ludlow on my things to do on the weekend list.

• Jan 28, 2008 at 5:20 PM

Wonderful page, I'm tempted to visit if I ever go back to England!!! Thanks for including me in your list of Virtual artists! :) I feel privileged!!!

• millablake's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2006 at 7:38 AM

cheers sean. i hope your 2007 is a blast of excitable and creative absurdity. x

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2006 at 4:45 AM

you would think all those orgain hippies in ludlow would drive 2cv's

• themajor's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2005 at 9:00 AM

Ludlow - where it's easier to find 50 different types of olive than a local with a Shropshire accent! Splendidly organic too but they need to plant a few million trees yet to make up for the local 4x4 second home commuters!

aaaarrgh

“Expect the worst and you will always be pleasantly surprised”

Badges & Stats in Ludlow