"Ludlow - very, very tasty!" Top 5 Page for this destination Ludlow by aaaarrgh
Ludlow Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 117 photos
Built well and fayre, with streates both large and wide,...
And who that lists to walke the towne about,
Shall finde therin some rare and pleasant things...
Thomas Churchyard, poet(1587)
Ludlow has loads of stunning architecture and pretty streets. There are 500 listed historic buildings, including the ornate Feathers Hotel. Ludlow found its wealth from making cloth in the Middle Ages. It has a large market square next to an enormous 12th century Castle. The medieval town walls are still in existence, as well as the ancient 'grid' street pattern and one of the town gates.
Ludlow became the UK's first official "Slow Town" in 2004, I kid you not :-)
There are numerous regular weekly outdoor markets in the town. Ludlow is at the centre of England's organic food industry. The town is famous for its Food & Drink Festival in September each year. It also has an Arts Festival around June/July time.
Has that wetted your appetite?
For many months I was designing
a "Slow Centre" for Ludlow. I was
studying architecture at Cardiff University.
So I know the Ludlow area almost as well
as my home neighbourhood!
Unfortunately the college decided to throw
away my beautiful model before I could
rescue it, grrrrrr!!
- Pros:The nicest small English town I have ever visited!!
- Cons:Not exactly 'on the beaten track'. Rather 'middle class'. Made money from oppressing the Welsh!
- In a nutshell:Ludlow should be on everyone's list of "must do's"!!
It fascinated me to see a braille map of Ludlow in the foyer of Ludlow Museum. It looked to me a very decorative object... more travel advice
Ludlow is also famous for its geology - the rocks in the area are superb examples of Silurian siltstones, filled with... more travel advice
- See All Posh people with enormous cars
- See All Ludlow Food & Drink Festival
- See All Cheap and filling food next to Ludlow...
aaaarrgh's Related Pages
Ludlow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ludlow - very, very tasty!"
- "Lovely Ludlow"
- "Why aren't there a thousand entries on Ludlow?"
- "Ludlow - England"
- "I Love Ludlow"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ludlow
- Hotels in Ludlow
- Transportation in Ludlow
- Nightlife in Ludlow
- Restaurants in Ludlow
- Shopping in Ludlow
- Warnings and Dangers in Ludlow
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ludlow
- 20 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Ludlow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ludlow
Photos in LudlowSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 60 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bristol Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos
- Wales Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ludlow Intro, 20 reviews, 30 photos
- England Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos
- Newport Intro, 17 reviews, 30 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bordeaux Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Granada Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue