Newport Tourist Trap Tips by aaaarrgh
Newport Tourist Traps: 1 reviews and 1 photos
The Westgate Hotel was the site of the famous 1839 battle, between Chartist demonstrators and soldiers. I have read in many books and internet sites that "you can still see the bullet holes in the doorway of the Westgate Hotel". So I thought aha, great photo opportunity.
However, the lady at the Tourist Information Centre knew nothing about them. In her view, they did not exist and she was sure the door had been replaced.
Well, I found the main door to the Westgate Hotel. The bottom part is definitely modern. The old, stone top part was sooo worn with age that there was no way of telling whether the holes and bumps were caused in battle, or by bullets.
So don't expect Newport to look like downtown Sarajevo. You have to be a forensic archaologist to spot a bullet hole, if they exist.
Unique Suggestions: Opposite the Westgate Hotel are a collection of statues commemorating the Chartist rebellion.
Well, actually around every corner there is something commemorating the Chartist Rebellion. You will begin to spot a theme :-)
Fun Alternatives: (a) go to the Museum in John Frost Square and read the story.
(b) bring a semi-automatic machine gun with you and create your own holes as required.
More Reviews (16)
aaaarrgh's Related Pages
Newport Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Newport - Wales' newest city"
- "Newport (Gwent)"
- "CarolynShort's new Newport Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newport
- Hotels in Newport
- Transportation in Newport
- Nightlife in Newport
- Restaurants in Newport
- Shopping in Newport
- See All...
Explore the World
- Misano Adriatico Hotels
- Poros Hotels
- Oeschinensee Hotels
- Casateia Hotels
Badges & Stats in Newport
- 17 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Newport?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newport
Photos in NewportSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 60 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bristol Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos
- Wales Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ludlow Intro, 20 reviews, 30 photos
- England Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos
- Newport Intro, 17 reviews, 30 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bordeaux Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Granada Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue