"Newport - Wales' newest city" Newport by aaaarrgh

Newport Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 65 photos

Yes, Wales' newest city! In 2002, as a celebration of Queen Liz's 50 years on the British throne, she generously offered to confer city status on another Welsh town. Nominations were invited. Newport won!!

Newport has been one of the big centres of South Wales industry, with its docks, large steelworks and industrial estates. Check out its working Transporter Bridge across the River Usk.

Further back in history (1839 to be precise) the town was the centre of a working-class Chartist rebellion.

An honest Welsh town... oops, I mean city.

City Centre Redevelopment

Since 2007 Newport has been having a major facelift. So beware that some of the attractions are moving, or being removed for good!!

This has generally changed Newport for the worst. Its deconstructing clock has been sold and dismantled; its Art Gallery is closing; the impressive Chartist murals are being demolished.

Unfortunately the city has not taken its city status to heart and, in my view, is losing many of the reasons to pay a visit!

• Pros:Centre of fight for democratic rights in the olden days.
  • Cons:Currently under major redevelopment, generally for the worst
  • In a nutshell:Wales newest city, but rapidly losing its distinct identity
  • Last visit to Newport: Apr 2013
  • Intro Updated Apr 21, 2013

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Great to know how much I've missed all the times I've been through here.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2006 at 1:50 AM

Very interesting, especially with all the historical explanation. I hope to see at least some of Newport's sights in September. Though it's a pity about the "holeless" door ; )

• mart8777's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2005 at 2:08 PM

Very Good, there's no point in me trying to do Newport.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2005 at 2:38 PM

very impressed, i would never have thought there was so much to see there

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2005 at 2:08 AM

Nice page!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2005 at 1:33 PM

Sean, very interesting Newport page. I like your "Tourist Trap" tip...Keep up the good work ... :o)

• lomi's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2005 at 11:12 AM

I enjoyed your Newport pages. I spent the first 10 years of my life there..oh memories.. now I live in Lanzarote

• antistar's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2005 at 3:03 PM

Great information, as I am coming to expect from you. And Owain Glyndwr seems like a man after my own heart ;).

aaaarrgh

“Expect the worst and you will always be pleasantly surprised”

Badges & Stats in Newport

Have you been to Newport?

Latest Activity in Newport