"Newport - Wales' newest city" Newport by aaaarrgh
Newport Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 65 photos
Yes, Wales' newest city! In 2002, as a celebration of Queen Liz's 50 years on the British throne, she generously offered to confer city status on another Welsh town. Nominations were invited. Newport won!!
Newport has been one of the big centres of South Wales industry, with its docks, large steelworks and industrial estates. Check out its working Transporter Bridge across the River Usk.
Further back in history (1839 to be precise) the town was the centre of a working-class Chartist rebellion.
An honest Welsh town... oops, I mean city.
Since 2007 Newport has been having a major facelift. So beware that some of the attractions are moving, or being removed for good!!
This has generally changed Newport for the worst. Its deconstructing clock has been sold and dismantled; its Art Gallery is closing; the impressive Chartist murals are being demolished.
Unfortunately the city has not taken its city status to heart and, in my view, is losing many of the reasons to pay a visit!
- Pros:Centre of fight for democratic rights in the olden days.
- Cons:Currently under major redevelopment, generally for the worst
- In a nutshell:Wales newest city, but rapidly losing its distinct identity
This could equally be a 'Nightlife' or a 'Restaurant' tip. The Old Murenger House is an incredible building, but easy to... more travel advice
Honestly I only discovered Newport Indoor Market very recently, despite visitng Newport for many years! The Market is... more travel advice
aaaarrgh's Related Pages
Newport Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Newport - Wales' newest city"
- "Newport (Gwent)"
- "CarolynShort's new Newport Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newport
- Hotels in Newport
- Transportation in Newport
- Nightlife in Newport
- Restaurants in Newport
- Shopping in Newport
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Newport
- 17 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Newport?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newport
Photos in NewportSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 60 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bristol Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos
- Wales Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ludlow Intro, 20 reviews, 30 photos
- England Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos
- Newport Intro, 17 reviews, 30 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bordeaux Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Granada Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue