Penarth Tourist Trap Tips by aaaarrgh Top 5 Page for this destination
Penarth Tourist Traps: 1 reviews and 3 photos
many have met a watery end
Sully Island is a few miles west of Penarth near Swanbridge. It is connected to the mainland by a wide causeway of flat rock. But big signs on the shore warn you that many people have drowned trying to get back from the island!! The tide is very strong here - it quickly rises 12m. And there are strong currents. Two hours either side of high-tide do not even think of walking to the island.
Which is a shame, because Sully Island is worth a visit. The rocky causeway is full of rock pools. The beach has more seashells than I have ever seen in one place. The island in summer is covered with wild flowers and butterflies. You can get an excellent view along the Glamorgan heritage Coast and also across to Steepholm - the island in the Bristol Channel.
Unique Suggestions: It is not unknown to see fishermen camping on Sully Island. Maybe take your tent!!
Or if the children are annoying, send them off to the island with a bucket and spade, never to be seen again, while you sit in the pub on the shore with a stiff drink ;-)
Fun Alternatives: If the tide is in, there is a pub, a cafe and an ice cream kiosk on the shore. And a sea wall to sit on and watch other silly fools drowning in the surf.
More Reviews (8)
aaaarrgh's Related Pages
Penarth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A short visit to Penarth"
- "Penarth - a bit of traditional seaside"
- "Picturesque Penarth"
- "A quick visit..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Penarth
- Transportation in Penarth
- Nightlife in Penarth
- Restaurants in Penarth
- Warnings and Dangers in Penarth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Penarth
- 9 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Penarth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Penarth
- Posted in Travel Cardiff Forum "Re: Pub name reminder"
- Commented on one of uglyscot's Penarth travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Travel 650 years ~ Cosmeston Medieval Village"
- updated a Penarth Travel Page "Penarth - a bit of traditional seaside"
- Wrote a Review Travel 650 years ~ Cosmeston Medieval Village in Penarth Things to Do
Photos in PenarthSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 60 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bristol Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos
- Wales Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ludlow Intro, 20 reviews, 30 photos
- England Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos
- Newport Intro, 17 reviews, 30 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bordeaux Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Granada Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue