"Penarth - a bit of traditional seaside" Top 5 Page for this destination Penarth by aaaarrgh
Penarth Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 132 photos
Thanks to the long dead Countess of Plymouth, Penarth became "a beautiful and commodious watering place, a successful competitor with other places of summer resort" . It was once where the entire working population of Cardiff went for their Bank Holidays
Only a couple of miles south of Cardiff, Penarth is the real seaside. It has a long Pier, an Esplanade, a Lifeboat Station, Italian cafe's and ice-cream shops. Oh, and a beach too, of course, though more stones than sand!
Also included are some very splendid public parks, stretching down the hillside to the sea-front. And a pleasant shopping centre. And several art galleries.
AND splendid views of Cardiff, the Bristol Channel, Flat Holm and Steep Holm from the top of Penarth Head.
Catch a bus or train from Cardiff Central Station. Or a steam boat from Illfracombe, Devon!
- Pros:Promenade, Gardens, Headland, Views, close to Cardiff
- Cons:Spoiled by some modern seafront developments.
Next to the Cosmeston Lakes is a re-created collection of thatched buildings. Cosmeston Medieval Village is built on the... more travel advice
St Augustine's Church is at the highest point of Penarth Head, 230 feet above the old county of South Glamorgan. It has... more travel advice
aaaarrgh's Related Pages
Penarth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A short visit to Penarth"
- "Penarth - a bit of traditional seaside"
- "Picturesque Penarth"
- "A quick visit..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Penarth
- Transportation in Penarth
- Nightlife in Penarth
- Restaurants in Penarth
- Warnings and Dangers in Penarth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Penarth
- 9 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Penarth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Penarth
- Posted in Travel Cardiff Forum "Re: Pub Lunch - Cardiff Bay?"
- Commented on one of uglyscot's Penarth travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Travel 650 years ~ Cosmeston Medieval Village"
- updated a Penarth Travel Page "Penarth - a bit of traditional seaside"
- Wrote a Review Travel 650 years ~ Cosmeston Medieval Village in Penarth Things to Do
Photos in PenarthSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 60 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bristol Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos
- Wales Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ludlow Intro, 20 reviews, 30 photos
- England Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos
- Newport Intro, 17 reviews, 30 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bordeaux Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Granada Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue