"Lusitania, Titanic, Convicts, Emigrants..." Cobh by aaaarrgh
Cobh Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 234 photos
What a coincidence - I took the 25 minute train ride from Cork to Cobh and found I had arrived on the exact 90th annversary of the sinking of the Lusitania luxury liner. The Lusitania carried thousands of passangers from Britain and Ireland to the States. At 2.30pm on 7th May 1915 is took 1000 of them to the bottom of the Atlantic, torpedoed by a U-boat.
Cobh was also the Titanic's last port of call in April 1912.
Cobh (pronounced 'Cove') is extremely pretty, on its own island at the edge of a massive natural harbour. Its most famous exports are Irish emigrants to America... and Irish convicts to Australia! Visit one of the museums there, I'm not going to bore you with all the history here!!
I imagine its a nice place to stay in a B&B overlooking the sea, there seemed to be plenty to choose from.
- Pros:Picturesque town, for Titanic and Lusitania fans...
- Cons:Dull Cathedral, verrrrry hilly
- In a nutshell:Definitely worth a daytrip from Cork!
When I ask "Why no seats?" I mean "Why no seats outside?" St Colman's Cathedral is an impressive looking piece of... more travel advice
Cobh's Heritage Centre is next door to the railway station at the water's edge. There is a large open cafe/restaurant... more travel advice
aaaarrgh's Related Pages
Cobh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Town With Too Many Memories"
- "Cobh, Ireland"
- "3 million irish are wrong !"
- "Cobh - Ireland's former gateway to the new world"
- "Lusitania, Titanic, Convicts, Emigrants..."
- "Cobh - Immigrants, The Titantic, and great people"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cobh
- Hotels in Cobh
- Transportation in Cobh
- Nightlife in Cobh
- Restaurants in Cobh
- Shopping in Cobh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cobh
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Cobh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cobh
- updated a Cobh Travel Page "Lusitania, Titanic, Convicts, Emigrants..."
- Posted in Travel Cardiff Forum "Re: Pub Lunch - Cardiff Bay?"
- Commented on one of sourbugger's Cobh travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Heritage Centre ~ crashing waves and then..."
- Wrote a Review Cobh's Cathedral - why no seats?! about St. Colman's Cathedral in Cobh Things to Do
Photos in CobhSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 60 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bristol Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos
- Wales Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ludlow Intro, 20 reviews, 30 photos
- England Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos
- Newport Intro, 17 reviews, 30 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bordeaux Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Granada Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue