"Copenhagen - so civilised but expensive!" Copenhagen by aaaarrgh

Copenhagen Travel Guide: 3,906 reviews and 9,834 photos

College Study Trip 2004

Visited Copenhagen for 7 days with fellow students from Cardiff University. Involved a fair bit of advance research and planning - there are lots of things to see in Copenhagen. It is a pedestrian and bicycle orientated city and is a shame to rush it!

Took a boat ride around the harbour on the first afternoon. It was a good way to see the Little Mermaid.

Spent three whole days cycling around on a lurid red 'city bike'. That is a 'must' for any visitor - it was super to have such a bike friendly city after spending my whole adult life dodging traffic and abuse in not-so-bike-friendly Cardiff! But gosh was I saddle sore afterwards...

One day was spent in Malmö, Sweden, which involved taking the train across the incredible Øresund bridge.

I spent a Saturday at Louisiana, the labyrinthine modern art gallery at Humlebæk. Great views of Sweden on a clear day, very picturesque and tranquil. And superb art collection.

• Pros:Super city for walking and cycling
  • Cons:Its the most expensive place I've ever visited (yes, more than Britain!)
  • In a nutshell:Super city overall. Shows what can be done with a bit of love and attention!!
  • Last visit to Copenhagen: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 31, 2005

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2013 at 10:51 PM

I enjoyed reading your Copenhagen page, even though it was 2004 when you visited. You saw quite a bit different to what I did. I did the boat ride too, and I remember just how low those bridges were, you were very lucky to duck in time! It still is very expensive, but still one I really loved.

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2011 at 3:57 AM

Excellent page on Copenhagen, very useful info and great writing style! I would love to see Utzorn's church and I didn't know you could do a daytrip to Sweden so easily - great! :-)

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2007 at 3:25 AM

Thank you. I'll definitely remember to watch my head when taking a boat tour.

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2007 at 9:25 AM

At some points I felt like you were describing my stay in CPH (going with students, going to Malmo and Luisiana, the boat trip, staying in Cab Inn....) LOL at almost losing your head under the bridge - that also almost happened to me!

• Jul 24, 2006 at 1:09 PM

Thanks for the info re The Cab Inn - looks like that's where we will be staying on our visit there! Must remember those vegetarian places too! Cheers bigears! ;-)

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2006 at 12:24 AM

Great page on Copenhagen. Will be there this weekend for 3 days. Good tip on Riz Raz, could be very helpful as we are trying to keep costs down

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2006 at 1:04 AM

Copenhagen is a wonderful town. Unfortunately I had only one day there but I hope to be back soon...

• Feb 2, 2006 at 8:36 PM

Great page on Copenhagen. Brings back memories of a wonderful few days there in the late 80s.

• Katmosphere's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2006 at 5:21 PM

Nice town:)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2006 at 2:48 AM

Nice introduction to this "pedestrian and bicycle orientated city".

aaaarrgh

“Expect the worst and you will always be pleasantly surprised”

Badges & Stats in Copenhagen

Have you been to Copenhagen?