"Sardis, (Sart) 60 miles East of Izmir" Sartmahmut by royalempress
Sartmahmut Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 12 photos
The row of stone structures were shops at one time. To the right is the road that stretched to Istanbul. While exploring Sart we found the signs of interest were in English.
If you do visit Sart be sure and bring plenty of water with you as it can be very hot and there are no facilities near by.
The short segment of the Roman Avenue uncovered here belongs to a sequence of east-west thoroughfares that span 2500 years and are stratified one above the other. A lydian road existed in the 7th and 6th centuries B.S.; its gravel surfaces, which have been exposed 100m to the east, rest 2m below roman paving. Cobbled surfaces of Byzantine and Ottoman roads were excavated above the Roman Portico remains. In 1950 the route was shifted slightly to the south to create the present Macadam Highway.
The Roman Avenue was the most monumental of these thoroughfares. 18.5 wide (more than twice the width of the modern highway), it was paved with marble blocks and flanked by covered porticos that had colored mosaic floors. On the far side there is the bases of two portico columns. Existing features of the qavenue date from the 4th and 6th centuries AD.
Sart was the chief city of Lydia and the Lydians, an anatolia people distinguished by language and culttural tradisions.
This was the pool
royalempress' Related Pages
Sartmahmut Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sartmahmut
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Sartmahmut?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sartmahmut
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Whidbey Island Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Salzburg Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos
- Andalucía Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Mantova Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Oberwesel Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Úbeda Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Bangkok 1 review, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos