"Welcome to my Travel Pages" royalempress's Profile

I find it very hard to respond to questions like "where should we go" or "can you help me plan an itinerary" and the more we travel the harder it's been. My wife, Sue, has lived in Florence and I've lived in Japan, plus among other trips we have been to Europe 6 time with each trip lasting 4 to 5 weeks. Currently, in March we plan to travel to Japan and Thailand. The reason that I've filled you in on a little of our background is so I can explain a little of our changing attitude towards travel. At first we loved all the historical/tourist sites but now we are numb to it all.

We are becoming more discriminating when it comes to seeing or staying in large Cities. In fact, we dislike cities. Mostly now we stay in rural towns and very small cities. We have seen lots of the world and the lasting memories that we have are of its people, not places. I try to plan each trip with just a few historical things and the rest of our trip is focused on meeting local people. Even-though we could stay at fancy hotels and eat fancy meals we don't, I detest fancy anything!!

It seems that now as we travel we spend a lot of our time revisiting the friends that we have met on our earlier trips which restricts us from experiencing new things.
So as you probably can see we would not be the people to ask, "Where should we go?" because our views are too narrow.

On two occasions we have traveled with friends or family and find that since travel is such an individual thing that it is not recommended. Some people like historical, tourist sites, some travel slow, some like to see as much in a day as they can, others stay in fancy places and eat fancy meals, it just goes on and on. How can you hope to meet everyone's wishes? You can't. Then the trip turns into everyone compromising. This is too much to ask anyone as the trips are expensive and everyone should see what they want at their own speed. Many days during our trips we do absolutely nothing. I can distinctly remember when visiting a few cities like Trento, Florence, Aix, and Istanbul we simple purchased a nice bottle of wine and spent the whole day at a outside cafe and just watched people. Those were very enjoyable days!

• Intro Updated Mar 12, 2013

Personal Pages (1)

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
royalempress's Profile Photo

royalempress

“Slow down and savor the moment”

Real Name