"DesertRat's new Malaysia page" Malaysia by DesertRat
Malaysia Travel Guide: 27,599 reviews and 68,491 photos
<b>Photo: A girl boards a sampan at sunset along the riverfront in Kuching, Sarawak (E. Malaysia).</b>
Malaysia is a country of extraordinary contrasts: on the one hand Kuala Lumpur, the capital, is the site of the world's tallest building, the Petronas Tower. On the other, there are pre-literate tribals living in the backwaters of Sabah and Sarawak on Borneo. It has some of Asia's best highways, but it also has some of Asia's densest and most impenetrable rainforests. It's a wannabe high-tech center, yet its press is cowed by a relatively repressive, semi-democratic regime. It is, in a word, a conundrum.
That said, it's also one of the most colorful and interesting countries in all Southeast Asia. It's certainly one of its most ethnically varied, a mixture of Muslim Malay, Christian or Buddhist Chinese, and Indians. And then there are the tribals from Borneo, whom you rarely see on the mainland at all.
<MARQUEE><b>The refurbishment of this page has begun! Make sure you check out the animated sunset below under "transportation", but you'll have to go to full size to see it!!!</MARQUEE><HR>
Photo: Our ninth-floor double in the Holiday Inn overlooked the river. more travel advice
Reload at full size for an airborne sunset animation. more travel advice
DesertRat's Related Pages
Malaysia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visit Malaysia Year 2007 has started"
- "Malaysia - a cool fusion of culture and beliefs"
- "Malaysia Travel (and The Foreign Labour Colony)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Malaysia
- Hotels in Malaysia
- Transportation in Malaysia
- Nightlife in Malaysia
- Restaurants in Malaysia
- Shopping in Malaysia
- Warnings and Dangers in Malaysia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Malaysia
- 21 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Malaysia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Malaysia
- Posted in Travel Prague Forum "RE: Question about the Current..."
- created a Malaysia Travel Page "DesertRat's new Malaysia page"
- Wrote a Review Photo: Our ninth-floor double... in Malaysia Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Photo: Our ninth-floor double..."
- Commented on one of shivan's Malaysia travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Oman Intro, 20 reviews, 64 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 20 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 7 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 5 reviews, 49 photos, 6 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 15 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Pakistan Intro, 15 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubai Intro, 21 reviews, 20 photos
- United Arab Emirates Intro, 11 reviews, 29 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 22 reviews, 18 photos
- Saudi Arabia Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (52)
Top Malaysia hotels
- Kuala Lumpur Hotels
- 5929 Reviews - 13249 Photos
- Port Dickson Hotels
- 160 Reviews - 378 Photos
- Penang Hotels
- 2422 Reviews - 5102 Photos
- Cameron Highlands Hotels
- 566 Reviews - 1700 Photos
- Pulau Langkawi Hotels
- 1359 Reviews - 3042 Photos
- Kuala Terengganu Hotels
- 133 Reviews - 308 Photos
- Kuching Hotels
- 785 Reviews - 2068 Photos
- Johor Bahru Hotels
- 511 Reviews - 899 Photos
- Kota Kinabalu Hotels
- 1038 Reviews - 2697 Photos
- Melaka Hotels
- 1562 Reviews - 3793 Photos
- Genting Hotels
- 346 Reviews - 965 Photos
- Kuantan Hotels
- 154 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Pulau Sapi Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Lumut Hotels
- 84 Reviews - 213 Photos
- Miri Hotels
- 219 Reviews - 533 Photos