"Barka', an important town on Oman's Batinah Coast" Barka' by DesertRat
Barka' Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 6 photos
Barka' is one of some four important market towns spread out along Oman's Batinah Coast, which stretches between Sohar near the UAE border and Seeb, the westernmost "outpost" of the so-called "Capital Area." The town's history goes back centuries -- I have been unable to find even an approximate founding date -- and the fort, which saw the expulsion of the Persians for the last time in the 18th century, dominates the townscape.
There are two reasons for a foreigner to go to Barka': the bullfights and the fort. Otherwise the place doesn't have a lot to show for itself. There is, to be sure, a fairly active fish suq (market) down along the beach in the morning, but there's very little else. Essentially, it's a fairly prosperous farming/fishing community that is gradually becoming a bedroom community for industries appearing on the edge of Muscat.
- Pros:The fort, the fish market, and the bullfights make for a fun day out.
- Cons:Not much to shop for, very little full-time entertainment, dull surroundings
My wife and I stayed here only weeks after its opening in 1996, and have just returned to visit it again a few days ago.... more travel advice
Personal Safety Generally speaking, Barka' like every other place in Oman is about a safe as it can get. Even so, as a... more travel advice
DesertRat's Related Pages
Barka' Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Barka'
- Hotels in Barka'
- Transportation in Barka'
- Warnings and Dangers in Barka'
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barka'
- 6 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Barka'?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barka'
Top 10 Pages
- Oman Intro, 20 reviews, 64 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 20 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 7 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 5 reviews, 49 photos, 6 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 15 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Pakistan Intro, 15 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubai Intro, 21 reviews, 20 photos
- United Arab Emirates Intro, 11 reviews, 29 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 22 reviews, 18 photos
- Saudi Arabia Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos, 5 travelogues