"Helsinki - planning a trip there?" Helsinki by ZenLady34
Helsinki Travel Guide: 3,620 reviews and 7,284 photos
Helsinki is a beautiful city and it has a lot to offer. It is easy to enjoy the archipelago by taking a day cruise, spend a day in Linnanmäki amusement park, check out the botanical garden, do some shopping etc etc...
Helsinki is rather safe city. A tourist can move around with public transportation or by feet without getting in trouble. But of course there are exceptions but generally speaking. The public transportation is good and busses run frequently.
APRIL 2007 the only low cost hotel chain opened a hotel in downtown Helsinki. One room can accommodate from one to four people and what is best: the price is the same very affortable compared to other hotels in Helsinki! Check it out.
The picture here is from Temppeliaukio Church. It is quarried out of the natural bedrock. The interior walls are created naturally by the rock. If you will take any sighseeings they will either pass this church or stop so that you can go in and check the place out.
Due to its acoustics the church is a popular place for concerts.
I've listed some links here below to help you with planning your trip. Hope you will find them useful.
Planning a trip to Helsinki?
If you will arrive to Helsinki by flight and would like to get information on how to get from Helsinki-Vantaa airport to city centre. Except from hiring a car, I have listed all the other options on my tip.
Helsinki City Tourist & Convention Bureau 's official pages helps you to get started. It offers accurate information on climate, sights and activities, Event calendar, restaurants, transportation etc. Definitely worth reading!
Address / service point / point of interest SEARCH will help you locating addresses and shopping streets.
If you are planning for shopping Arabia or Iittala products you MUST check out my shopping tip! It is possible to buy these products in the city center but you can buy them even 60% cheaper on the factory shop. Check out my tip for closer information.
I have stayed overnight in Helsinki for few times. I have listed the hotels I have stayed in in hotel tips. I have tried to write or take a photos of something that can not be seen on their very own netpages.
Finnish for Travellers teaches you some basic words in Finnish and you can listen how to pronounce them. Unfortunately the page is filled with ad's but you'll find "Finnish for Travellers" in the middle of page.
TRIPS FROM HELSINKI
There are two boat lines which operates daily from HELSINKI, (FI) TO STOCKHOLM (SE).
It is possible also to make a DAY TRIP to TALLINN. There are few ways to go there:
1) by ferry. Ferries cross the Gulf of Finland between Tallinn and Helsinki operates several times a day, covering the distance in roughly four hours. From late spring to late autumn, hydrofoils and catamarans also run, reducing travel time to an hour and a half.
2) by aircraft
3) in my opinion this is the Best way (time spend and smoothest transportation) of getting there is a hydrofoil (if thats not a hydro then what is?? *girlie comment*) BUT they only operate during the summer months.
Suggestions for activities in Helsinki.
- Pros:architecture, design
- In a nutshell:modern, beautiful city by the sea
If you are in the city between May and August (summer time), DO NOT miss the delicious food at Kauppatori (market... more travel advice
Hietalahti Market and Flea Market is open all year round. During the summertime (May-Aug) also on Sundays and Evening... more travel advice
ZenLady34's Related Pages
Helsinki Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Home"
- "19/1 Just returned from Helsinki"
- "Where Slavic charm & Nordic simplicity meet"
- "Helsinki at your service"
- "Helsinki, this is where I come from"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Helsinki
- Hotels in Helsinki
- Transportation in Helsinki
- Nightlife in Helsinki
- Restaurants in Helsinki
- Shopping in Helsinki
- Warnings and Dangers in Helsinki
- See All...
Explore the World
- Angeles City
- Lake Havasu City Hotels
- Seaton Carew Hotels
- Peshawar Hotels
- Región Metropolitana de Santiago
- Deer Creek State Park Hotels
- Baragwanath Hospital Hotels
- Rathdowney Hotels
- Niagara Falls
- Peng Chau Island
Badges & Stats in Helsinki
- 15 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 21 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Helsinki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helsinki
- Posted in Travel Amsterdam Forum "Re: AMS in two days -..."
- updated a Helsinki Travel Page "Helsinki - planning a trip there?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Helsinki - planning a trip there?"
- Wrote a Review Little something to eat about Kauppatori (Market Square & Market Hall) in Helsinki Things to Do
- Commented on one of city_guy's Helsinki travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porvoo Intro, 29 reviews, 41 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos
- Mauritius Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Baie Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos
- Isola Panarea Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tianjin Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savonlinna Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos
- Finland Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (14)
Latest Helsinki hotel reviews
- Hotel Kamp
- 405 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013
- Rivoli Jardin Hotel
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 18, 2013
- Lonnrot Hostel & Cafe
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
- Best Western Hotel Haaga
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Cumulus Olympia
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Stadion Hostel
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 27, 2013
- Sokos Hotel Klaus Kurki
- 278 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Best Western Premier Hotel Katajanokka
- 285 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Cumulus Kaisaniemi
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 25, 2013
- Holiday Inn Helsinki
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 12, 2013
- Hostel Suomenlinna
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 25, 2013
- Hotel Ava
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- Hotel Finn
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Hotelli Vuoranta
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Sokos Hotel Vantaa
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 10, 2013