"Mallorca - a great island" Top 5 Page for this destination Majorca Island by Gerrem
Majorca Island Travel Guide: 643 reviews and 1,249 photos
The Balearic Islands comprise of three major islands, Majorca, Minorca and Ibiza, plus three smaller pieces of land by the names of Formentera, Cabrera and the uninhabited Dragonera. They lie off the coast of Spain between France and the coast of northern Africa. Every year the islands are a magnet for millions of holiday-makers.
For the Germans Mallorca (Majorca) seems to be a part of Germany. Nearly all Germans have been at least once there. Guaranteed good weather, low prices and an only 2 hour fly made Mallorca attractive in the past. For most of these tourists Mallorca is just sun and beach. I’ve been 6 or 7 times there (with my parents as a child and later as an adult) and I know that this wonderful island has more to offer. It owns a lot of culture and history, interesting people, beautiful landscapes and also breathtaking hidden beaches.
Mallorca (1991 pop. 602,074) is the biggest (1,405 sq mi = 3,639 sq km), of the four islands in the Balearic group that offers everything you could wish for in a holiday. From long, golden beaches, tiny coves, mountains and remote villages to windmill-dotted plains; all year round enjoyment. Palma is the capital and occupies a seafront location. The old town has a cathedral and a maze of narrow streets. The views from Bellver Castle are breathtaking. There is a wide variety of bars, restaurants and nightlife in Palma. The Bay of Palma is the playground and consists of a crescent of white sand. On the western side of the island is Magaluf, the place to party, where clubs are open all night and parties don't stop. As a resort it also offers an outstanding sandy bay with watersports. Ample shops line the tightly-knit streets and a wide selection of bars and restaurants will keep everyone happy. Nearby Palma Nova is a popular and friendly resort, popular with families. It's curving sand and shingle beaches are kept clean and safe, with lots of watersports.
In 1276 the kingdom of Majorca was formed from the inheritance of James I of Majorca. It comprised the Balearic Islands, Roussillon and Cerdagne (between France and Spain), and several fiefs in S France. Perpignan, in Roussillon, was the capital. In 1343, Peter IV of Aragón took the kingdom from James II and reunited it with the crown of Aragón. The island's flourishing commerce declined, partly because of the warfare between the native peasantry and the Aragonese nobles and Catalan traders, but mainly because of the change in trade routes after the discovery of America. Majorca is known for its stalagmite caves and for its architectural treasures and prehistoric monuments. The abandoned old monastery where Chopin and George Sand lived is an island landmark. The inhabitants speak their own dialect of Catalan.
- Pros:Great beaches, history and culture
- Cons:Too many German & British tourists
- In a nutshell:The islands has more to offer than most tourists know!
Lluc is an old monastery set high in the mountains in the northern centre of the island. It is situated in a wonderful... more travel advice
The beautiful west side of the island has some great scenery. North and west coastlines are wild and rugged, dominated... more travel advice
Gerrem's Related Pages
Majorca Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BEAUTIFUL ISLAND OF MALLORCA."
- "Majorca, a European paradise"
- "8 million people a year can't be wrong !"
- "Mallorca Island"
- "Mallorca - a great island"
- "Majorcan Meanders"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Majorca Island
- Hotels in Majorca Island
- Transportation in Majorca Island
- Nightlife in Majorca Island
- Restaurants in Majorca Island
- Shopping in Majorca Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Majorca Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Majorca Island
- 18 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Majorca Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Majorca Island
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mallorca - a great island"
- updated a Majorca Island Travel Page "Mallorca - a great island"
- Wrote a Review Lluc about Monasterio de Lluc - Monastery of Lluc in Majorca Island Things to Do
- Posted in Travel Rome Forum "RE: How to get from Ciampino..."
- Commented on one of Kristina1701's Majorca Island travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 47 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Algarve Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hannover Intro, 19 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hildesheim Intro, 21 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Majorca Island Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos
- Grömitz Intro, 19 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Grossarl Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Niedersachsen Intro, 8 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Elze Intro, 11 reviews, 29 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ufa Intro, 9 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues