"My travels" 0308PODA's Profile

First trip

My first trip overseas was 1990/1991. We went to Bali and Singapore..
Found them to be quite contrasting but enjoyed everything we did.
Move on to 1992 and with the travel bug, took our children to USA - Disneyland, Las Vegas ,Tijuana,San Diego, Los Angeles. Had a great time.
Did not travel again until 1996. We went to Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Koh Samui, Bali with friends over 3 weeks.
1998 back to Bangkok, Phuket, Cruise from Singapore to KL, up the Straits of Malacca, Penang, Phuket. Love cruises!
2000 my husband had to have open heart surgery 8 weeks before our Grand European adventure - had to postpone until April 2001. But went for a week to Great Keppel Island off Queensland just to relax.

European adventure

Finally went in 2001. Flew to England and spent 2 weeks with my penfriend in Lancashire who I have been writing to for 44 years. We did first meet though in 1999 when I won a radio competition "Share Sydney with a Friend". They flew her out for 2 weeks and she stayed at the Inter Continental for 1 week, then with us for a week. We loved showing Sydney off to her and her husband. I could not believe we had actually met after all these years!! It was great.
So we went to see them 2001. Toured up to Scotland and across the Scottish Borders, York, Chester, Liverpool..all the touristy things.
Then we went back to London to meet my girlfriend who had just spent two weeks in Venice with a man she met in Sydney a few years earlier. I envied her heaps.. so romantic..
We after 3 days in London, boarded a bus and went on a Trafalgar tour for 12 days to Europe. Accent tour. First stop Brussels, Frankfurt, Lucerne,Venice, Rome, Florence, Pisa, Nice, St Paul de Vence, Avignon, Lyon then Paris. After the 2 day stop in Paris, we left the tour which was going back to London and had another 3 days in Paris to explore this beautiful romantic city. But not romantic for my Husband.. he hated it.
So if I ever return and indications late last year that I would,( but had to be cancelled, and possibly now will not happen as he ( not my husband- separated now) has found someone else and tells me he doesn't love me any more)it will be with the man I truly love.
We did another trip to Thailand 2003. Bangkok, Krabi which I absolutely love, and Phuket. Last one with my husband.

New Life

Left my husband on New Years Eve 2003 - new life 2004!
Took myslef to New Zealand for a week to travel on my own, down to Queenstown and then drove on up to Christchurch. I did it on my own !! Touche!!
Met and fell in love with a man who I had known for 35 years.. we love the same things. We travelled to Bali, Singapore, China, Vanuatu, England ,Hong Kong, Did a cruise out of Singapore again - beautifiul..
But now after all this time my life which I though was on track, has now hit a brick wall. He says doesn't love me as intensely as before and has found a Filipino in preference to me.. I am still with him, but I think that I am fighting a losing battle. Well now August 2007 and I will be leaving him to be on my own. Maybe time apart he may want to rekindle our life. I certainly don't want ot lose him. But I will take each day as it comes.
I am in my heart trying to organise myself to possibly do a trip at the end of the year. So many places to see though.. where to go. I love Egypt. May do that. Not sure how though? Organised tour, Intrepid??? any suggestions.
Want to go back to Italy though and possibly Spain and of course England.
Love to hear from other members and if there are travelling companions

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA

My home town. Marvellous harbour and most of us are marvellous people!!
Interesting to visit and lots to see. Only a couple of hundred years old, but can show visitors how we grew quite easily.
Attractions in Sydney:
Opera House, Harbour Bridge walk, Manly, Sydney Aquarium, Homebush Olympic Park ( site of 2000 Olympics and only a short rivercat ferry ride),
Botanic Gardens, Art Gallery of NSW, Australian Museum, Taronga Zoo, Watsons Bay, Botany Bay, Kurnell ( Captain Cooks first landing place), Fabulouse surfing Beaches from Palm Beach northern beaches to Ulladulla on the South Coast, Blue Mountains, Hunter Valley and Mudgee for Wineries, Bondi Beach, Darling Harbour and lots more.

2008 Adventure

Well I only have 12 days to go before I head off to the UK to start my 6 week adventure!
Heading to Lancashire to stay with my penfriend who I have been writing to since I was 10 y/o. 45 Years later, and this is only the third time I have been with her! Lot of catching up to do. Then off to visit some friends in Newcastle before heading south to Brighton for a 40th Birthday party and to meet up with my friend Deb who will be there with her French Fiance. I will stay in London until Aug 20 then head to Paris to catch up with Deb and Dom again. 24th August head to Cairo to do my Egypt and Jordan Caravan trip. Loking forward to this so much! After finishing in Amman, I head to Bangkok to rest and recuperate before heading home and back to work! PHOTO TO COME - STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2008 Adventure - Part one

Aahhh it is over and I am now reliving my trip sorting through all the photos that I have taken. Have just discovered that I have lost some.. not happy!!
Leaving Sydney I flew via LA and New York ... was the long way, but I must admit when I finally arrived in London and drove to Oxford, I did not suffer any jet lag at all.. quite remarkable. Enjoyed Oxford very much. I wandered around the town - in and out of buildings and schools, photos of the most incredible architecture ( which at that stage was only an entree into what I was to discover in Egypt and Jordan!) Finally booked into a B & B on a farm in a tiny town 20 minutes north of Oxford. Freshened up then went in to Banbury the town and sought out a typical English pub and downed a nice cold beer. Chatted to the locals which was so good. They were extremely friendly and very helpful. Love little towns. The next day I was up early and headed for Lancashire to my penfiends home. Arrive in the afternoon and was so glad to see her. Haven't seen her since 2001.

2010 Bali Wedding

Well a late update on this but time gets away!! headed to Bali for my friends wedding last June. Absolutley fantastic time was had by all. I have been to Bali many times previously but I must say I enjoyed this so much better! Stayed in Seminyak, which is a bit more up market than Kuta where I have been before. But in saying that, the accommodation is not that expensive. You have choices and all is good. We stayed at The Haven- great position and central. Friends stayed at Villa Coco which is where the reception dinner was. Service was on the beach at The Oberoi further down. Shopping is great there and a fraction of the cost at home. Great Surfwear, and shoes. Not the cheap market stuff but real boutique style. I am always asked where did I get what I am wearing and when I tell them Bali they are not belieiving me. I took my friend who had never travelled there before up to UBUD, and Tanah Lot - she loved it. Many other places to visit but she was happy with that. I love the people and the food and the easy way of life there. Great place to chill out in.

New York New York and beyond!

So we headed for New York for my friends 50th Birthday- We stayed at Radio City Apartments. The night I arrived, Lisa went to Radio City to see Charlie Sheenas she is a tragic for him! She was impressed! So once anotoher friend arrived the party began! WE toured New York as you do! Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, Ellis Island, Wall Street, Empire State Bldg, Chrysler Bldg, adn did a walking tour of the Waldor = Astoria, which was very informative. Lunch was included and was great. We also celebrated at the Russian Tea Rooms next to Carnegie Hall - the main Ball room upstairs albeit small was amazing!, We had lunch at the Loeb Boathouse in Central Park and that day was glorious! The weather was cool but nonethe less was a brilliant day in Central Park. Strawberry Fields, IMAGINE.. so haunting to be there and across the road John Lennons apartment block! We had afternoon tea at the Plaza Hotel in the Palm Court , and that was after my friend Anna went to Tiffany's and purchased her birthday present with money that all her friends had given her for her birthday! I loved New York, but only saw a small portion! Have to go again - Oh and the shopping !!!!!!!!!!! Amazing - great when the USD is great against our AUD!! So onto Boston and we were there for another 4 days. Stayed at the Doubletree Hilton - toured Harvard Universtiy and it was bitterly cold!! We did the Freedom Trail walk which is a must do when there to learn all about Paul Revere and the history of Boston! We drove to Rhode Island for the day and toured some stately homes - the wealth that was the 20's , the 30's and the 40's - mind blowing!
Onto Washington and again another place to return to as it is enormous and so much to see - especially at the Smithsonian!! But for me the changing of the guard at Arlington was spine chilling ! It was the most amazing spectacle of a tradition adhered to with the utmost respect from all that were present. You could hear a pin drop and all that was heard was the taps of the soldiers boots as he skimmed across the concrete towards the guard to inspect his rifle, and escort him off and replace him with another guard. I had tears in my eyes as you are on the hilltop overlooking Washington and you feel like they are guards on a pulpit ready to defend ! You have to go there. Along with George Washingtons house on the hill which you can go through, and the museum at the entrance depicting some historical pictures that we all remember through time.
The memorial to JFK and Jacqeline is also another spinechilling moment. To see their plaques along with the daughter they lost and also of John... I will return again as that place has an enormous amount of history...
My final leg after all my friends went home back to Australia, was to spend Easter in Phoenix with my Godmother Norah. She was suffering with emphysema and the last time I had seen her was in 2002 when I took my mother there to visit. I only found out at Christmas that she passed away last March 2012 - they tried to call me but I wasn't home. I was overseas on a cruise. We only kept intouch on special occasions and I was upset that I had not spoken with her more during that last year. But thankful that I did spend Easter with her and had the opportunity to talk again with her..xx Norah

• Intro Updated Mar 13, 2013

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2014 at 6:13 AM

thanks for sharing your "dog" story as well as my birthday wishes. Happy spring!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Happy Birthday for yesterday Christine...enjoyed reading your home page again! All the best!

• grayfo's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Thanks for the Birthday Greeting Christine, hope everything is good your end and have a great time in Italy.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Are you still coming to the Aussie Meet in August...might be good to confirm with stevemt. Be good if you sent me a contact and where you are staying. Some are at the Mantra.
    Also more exciting events posted on the Meets page
    Marg

• TrendsetterME's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Hey Christine, "Happy Birthday", with all my best wishes ... :)

• connectingrod's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2012 at 10:22 PM

A birthday is just the first day of another 365-day journey around the sun. Enjoy the trip

• K.Knight's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2012 at 3:37 AM

Hi christine, great home page, thanks for sharing. Was your profile pic taken in Luxor? Kev.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Thanks for your sweet offer! She and hubby were staying with a friend for approx. 2 weeks with a couple of days before in Kangaroo Valley and a week after in Blue Mountains and Hunter Valley. They were both thrilled and are back since yesterday.

• grayfo's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2011 at 3:20 AM

A Merry Christmas to everybody! A happy New Year to all the world!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Happy Birthday, Christine- have a great day.......

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
0308PODA's Profile Photo

0308PODA

“We are most alive when we are in love”

Ranked Member