"Transfagarassan Road" Muntii Fagaras by zaffaran

Muntii Fagaras Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 33 photos

Breathtaking views.

Transfagarassan Road was the road I wanted to drive along since the very moment I got to know about it. I felt a bit unsure because according to our schedule we were to drive there on 1st of July and it was the day it gets open every year providing the snow in the the mountains lets it. From Sibiu we set off towards Fagaras and Brasov and after a few kilometres Turned right into the road No 7c. Although there was a road sign "the road is closed" we went on (fortunately as it occurred the road was open!). The weather was beautiful, we could even see the mountain tops and it was a very important piece of information as the road has its climax at about 2100 m .What can I say more?Many sharp bends but the road surface of good quality (except for the road in the tunnel through the mountain-no lights and loads of potholes!),much snow in the upper part so only one line was available.

On the way to Balea Lac

As I wrote before we were driving north-south, and it's worth knowing that the northern part of the road is much shorter then southern.(forgive me, i've already forgotten how many kilometres is from the bottom to Balea Lac -less then 20?!). If you look for excitement you may leave your car down the mountains and reach Balea Lac by a cable car.

Southern slopes of the mountains are also steep and the road leads you through some tunnels and along the lake formed by a dam.

• Pros:Stunnig views
  • Cons:???
  • Last visit to Muntii Fagaras: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Nov 23, 2005

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2007 at 2:02 PM

Anita, fascinating little pager with brilliant photos. Interesting info about teh real Dracula castle. We have been to the fake one in Bran. Please be patient with me. I will upload my Brasov page in a few weeks.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2007 at 10:39 PM

I just loved Romania and really enjoyed your page ;-)

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2006 at 1:04 AM

you can probably meet dracula in a little hotel

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2006 at 9:41 PM

what a special place ! I really like that sort of trafic-jam !!

• ray_d's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2006 at 11:12 PM

Quite an eye-opener. Thank you.

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2005 at 11:17 AM

WOW!!! What a gorgeous drive!!! I am now officially jealous! Looks like a lot of sheep were seen during this journey .... I have to ask, did they smell? tee-hee

• aussiejen's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2005 at 2:16 PM

What a road!! Great photos, beautiful countryside.

zaffaran

“A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet”

Badges & Stats in Muntii Fagaras

Have you been to Muntii Fagaras?

Latest Activity in Muntii Fagaras