"Keep smiling - you are in Gdynia" Top 5 Page for this destination Gdynia by zaffaran

Gdynia Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 195 photos

"Gdynia-my town" and "Keep smiling -you are in Gdynia" this is what's written on the boards welcoming visitors on every road leading to Gdynia.
Obviously almost everyone talking about their place says that it's special. But Gdynia really IS special. After regaining its independence in 1918 Poland dramatically nedeed a port so Gdynia, which had been a small fishermen's village was chosen as a perfect location. The town was fully designed and built in the twenties of the 20th century and the port soon became one of the biggest in Europe. Now Gdynia is a nice and friendly town with a population of more than 250000, located on the hills and surrounded by woods.

The beach is quite small and overcrowded in summer , but now looks unbeliveably empty and peaceful, doesn't it? The beach is almost in the city centre and that's why I wouldn't recommend it to sunbathing-lovers. I would rather choose distant beaches in one of the districts called Orlowo , where also perfomances of summer theatre are held in the evenings in July and August.

There are two famous Polish sailing ships- the first one is a museum now but the farther one belongs to Naval Academy whose students are obliged to complete some training in the sea.

• Pros:Very nice and friendly
  • Cons:Can't see any!
  • Intro Updated Jul 6, 2007

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2010 at 3:32 AM

Lovely travel page of your home city complete with superb photographs. Gdynia seems to be an interesting tourist destination. Day trip to Koscierzyna certainly sounds wonderful to us. Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2009 at 1:56 AM

I would love to visit the open air museum, it looks really interesting, thanks for sharing!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2007 at 11:25 AM

I was once on a cruise ship that stopped in your hometown. I took the train to Gdansk. In Gdynia I bought some clothes. I still have the one piece :)) Funny to see the wild boars in a public park.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2007 at 12:26 AM

nice page you have there. i have been to poland a couple of times but i surely need to explore that country some more.

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2007 at 12:58 PM

Your hometown look very pretty with your eyes, Anita. The sailing ships and the cottages are worth to have a look at. And you flower pictures and parcs are nice; thanks for sharing

• Pixiekatten's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2006 at 4:17 AM

Haha..more coffee tips! :) Think I will love Gdynia! It was years since I visited last time! Great page. Dobre dobre!!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2006 at 11:23 AM

You have sold me on Gdynia! The coast, little boats, salted fish, strong coffee, and restaurants w/ views of the water....ahhhhhhh! Next trip, you are on my list!

• Aug 23, 2006 at 3:34 PM

wow... thats how to do it properly very nice detail, and you have ikea!!! warm wishes

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2006 at 1:42 PM

I enjoyed my virtual tour of Gdynia = loved your seascape pictures = I'm always drawn to the sea!!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2006 at 10:55 PM

A very interesting page. I will read it a second time when we will plan to visit Poland (not scheduled yet). Thanks for sharing.

zaffaran Lives Here!

zaffaran

“A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet”

Badges & Stats in Gdynia