"Romania-worth a sin" Romania by zaffaran
Romania Travel Guide: 6,312 reviews and 19,913 photos
We were driving in Romania for three weeks in June and July. It was an amazing experience as we were able to see Transilvania, the Fagaras Mountains, the Black Sea coast and finally Bucovina and the mountains of norhtern Romania. Different conditions, different types of architecture, totally different landscapes- but people always the same- friendly and helpful.
So we started from Transilvania and we decided to spend a few days in Sibiu and make some trips in the neighbourhood.
This part of Romania enchanted me most. Driving along its roads let us see hidden villages or small towns in which life seems to be quieter and more peaceful than anywhere else. In almost every village you can find remains of the past which are called fortified churches. Built by Saxon communities ages ago , are still very impressive, although quite often locked (but on the gate there's usually a notice who can be asked to open it). Besides the numerous villages, we also visited Sighisoara, Deva and a castle in Hunedoara a beautiful Alba Iulia. Anything what I think you may find useful is in the tips :-))
With a short break in Bucharest we finally reached the coast and of course immediately after parking the car we went to the beach. Big waves,warm water (almost every sea is warm in comparison to the Baltic Sea!)and a beautiful sunset. What more can one desire?!
On the next days we explored surroundings- visited Constanta, Mangalia and of course had some fun in the water.
From the coast we went to the North to see painted monasteries, visit Poles who have been living there for two hundred years and maybe have some trips to the mountains. The last idea failed- it was raining heavily and as it occurred later -we were being followed by floodings. But thanks to the weather which was not suitable for mountain trips we spent a whole day in Mokanita - a funny small train "speeding" along the mountain valley.
- Pros:Amazing country, friendly people...
- Cons:Definitely crazy drivers...
- In a nutshell:More than you expect
A nice city on the coast, with a nice beach and some remains of the past. Its beginnings date back to the 6th century... more travel advice
A visit to painted monasteries is a must when you are in Romania and particularly in Bucovina. We also saw a few of them... more travel advice
zaffaran's Related Pages
Romania Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Romania, a country of history, art, and humanity"
- "It was ' home' for a few months"
- "Romania, Eastern Jewel"
- "Ce faci, Romania?"
- "Welcome to my homecountry"
- "Walking in the Carpathian Mountains"
- "Romania-worth a sin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Romania
- Hotels in Romania
- Transportation in Romania
- Nightlife in Romania
- Restaurants in Romania
- Shopping in Romania
- Warnings and Dangers in Romania
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Romania
- 24 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Romania?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Romania
Top 10 Pages
- Poland Intro, 31 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Latvia Intro, 25 reviews, 61 photos
- Romania Intro, 19 reviews, 57 photos
- Lithuania Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovakia Intro, 21 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zakopane Intro, 19 reviews, 51 photos
- Salzburg Intro, 12 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdynia Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos
- Bieszczady Intro, 18 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sopot Intro, 14 reviews, 30 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (13)
Top Romania hotels
- Bucharest Hotels
- 1607 Reviews - 4216 Photos
- Timisoara Hotels
- 151 Reviews - 386 Photos
- Constanta Hotels
- 203 Reviews - 806 Photos
- Brasov Hotels
- 645 Reviews - 1774 Photos
- Sibiu Hotels
- 228 Reviews - 705 Photos
- Cluj-Napoca Hotels
- 258 Reviews - 773 Photos
- Oradea Hotels
- 157 Reviews - 407 Photos
- Sighisoara Hotels
- 392 Reviews - 1070 Photos
- Iasi Hotels
- 70 Reviews - 170 Photos
- Sinaia Hotels
- 168 Reviews - 565 Photos
- Tulcea Hotels
- 23 Reviews - 55 Photos
- Targu-Mures Hotels
- 47 Reviews - 187 Photos
- Piatra Neamt Hotels
- 98 Reviews - 405 Photos
- Suceava Hotels
- 83 Reviews - 237 Photos
- Bran Hotels
- 101 Reviews - 297 Photos